Eset "thinks" Ccleaner have "dangerous contents"

CaLy

Hello! I have Eset Smart Security, and when i was going to update to latest version, this appeared ... Weird, never happened before...

Access denied!
Details: 
Web page: http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup311.exe
Comment: Access to the web page was blocked by ESET Smart Security. The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous contents.

I know, i will stop Smart Security and download CCleaner, but anyway, you need to tell Eset´s people this is not dangerous AT ALL !

The reason it was listed, is not because CCleaner is dangerous, but antivirus solutions flag setup containers that include rogue toolbars/secondary installations.

CCleaner setup containers routinely include Ask toolbar or Chrome browser installations bundled with them, hence the warning from the security suite.

To be fair, Piriform does this to generate revenue, since they work so hard to provide things for free. But this sets off A/V programs.

I've been using ESET Smart Security for years, from the oldest version up until the very latest one. I've never had any problems with CCleaner. Like someone already said, it might be due to third-party software bundled with CCleaner. Even then, I doubt it would have any.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
We have paid for the license of CCleaner professional.  On scans of ESET many of the files of CCleaner are identified as dangerous.  Please advise if the slim build applies

Eset should not be flagging the pro version, as the pro version doesn't bundle Google offer. Please submit the pro installer exe to Eset as a false positive.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com