Problems with Microsoft Office 2010 SP1

PunchInTheFace

I don't see this as a problem you can't expect to install software or updates while using CCleaner at the same time that's as bad as copying files to a flash drive and removing it prematurely.

Richard S.

When doing a wipe with CCleaner while installing Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1, the installation of the SP fails because CCleaner deletes files in System/Temporary Files that are needed for the installation.

1. Wiping free space is extremely unlikely to damage temporary files which do not exist in Free Space.

2. When you "Run CCleaner" that IS INTENDED to delete temporary files including your Office installation.

3. I suggest you refrain from Wiping Free Space until you learn, understand, and appreciate its purpose.

It will probably surprise you in the most painful way possible if you think it is just another way to improve cleaning.

N.B. "extremely unlikely" means once in a blue moon.

I have experienced Race hazards when two data sources simultaneously append data to the same file,

and B.S.O.D.s at every opportunity suggest to me the possibility that W.F.S. may commit to wiping a unused cluster and Office Installation may commit to writing to the same cluster,

leading to a collision when they act on their commitments because Windows is unreliable under duress - something has to give.

• Moderators

Obviously if installing any Microsoft Updates it's highly advised to not use CCleaner or any other cleaning tool including Windows own built-in Disk Cleanup until after you've restarted which is often required for an update to be applied correctly.

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure it's a small adjustment developerside to make sure the .*** files that belong to the SP1 installation don't get wiped.

I'm pretty sure it's a small adjustment userside to make sure the .*** files that belong to the SP1 installation don't get wiped until the SP is fully installed after a reboot :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I'm pretty sure it's a small adjustment developerside to make sure the .*** files that belong to the SP1 installation don't get wiped.

You have very limited experience if you think that deplorable Microsoft Office is the only application that uses temporary files for installation with the express intention that they will complete the installation upon reboot before they get trashed.

It is of course "a small adjustment developerside to make sure the .*** files that belong" to any application installation will not get wiped,

but that means they will never ever be wiped unless the "install-on-reboot" code can delete itself when it is done.

But there are so many careless application developers who never clean up after themselves but leave trash all over the computers.

Conclusion :- you are requiring CCleaner to do almost nothing - it would have no purpose in life.

After Patch Tuesday security updates and you are told a reboot is needed to complete the installation,

Do you first run CCleaner, and do you find all your updates complete perfectly ?

I for one do not run any such risk.