Disk Wipe

Regi Stration

Hello, I'm new to the forums - I have not done a search. I'm selling a hard drive tomorrow and need to remove all data. I have to leave here shortly to go to work. That's why I haven't done a search.

This is what I've done so far: Put the hard drive in an external case and set CCleaner Disk wipe to completely wipe the drive. Then asked Recuva to show me any files left. There is over a gig of files that Recuva can see and at least half of them are recoverable. There was a Windows7 Backup file on this disk and it seems that that is most of the recoverable files. What do I need to do to get what I want?

This might help ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32333&view=findpost&p=192002

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks, I've used CCleaner since I think 2005 but this was the first time I tried to wipe a drive with it. I used to use Eraser but something has gone terribly wrong with that deal. Does nothing but hang up and crash. It worked great on XP, Windows 7 not so much.

• Moderators

I actually experinced a failure with CCleaner wiping a spare IDE drive with XP on it recently, and I ended up formatting it with Paragon Partition Manager.

The devs are aware of this, and are looking into it.

• Moderators

I'm wondering why if CCleaner offers the Disk Wipe mode why it didn't actually wipe the disk? It puts into question whether or not its doing the rest of the stuff it claims to do.

Not sure if it puts into question whether it does the rest of the stuff Regi stration (love that name!!)

More likely just a bug that has arisen for Disk Wipe, and as Dennis says, the Devs are now aware of it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

No no no, I didn't mean that. Sorry didn't make myself clear on that one. I mean an erase for when you want to shred a file? You know like Heidi's Eraser would put the Erase option in the right click context menu and if you wanted to shred a document instead of sending it to the recycle bin (which requires another two clicks to actually get rid of it) just a thought.

You know like Heidi's Eraser would put the Erase option in the right click context menu and if you wanted to shred a document instead of sending it to the recycle bin (which requires another two clicks to actually get rid of it) just a thought.

That is the worst idea I have seen in a year.

A right click on XP Home could occasionally cause several seconds delay to further GUI actions whilst S.R. would duplicate in a R.P. the monster file I selected.

Typically I only clicked to invoke properties but the O.S. was afraid I was going to modify the file so it wasted my time before allowing access.

When it wasted my time it also misunderstood the option I was trying for and sometimes it launched the wrong action.

I also suffered horrendous difficulty both in opening the context menu and in selecting an option after I was persuaded to install Dropbox.

I found dropbox hooked into 10 locations in Explorer startup. Dropbox is now gone.

It is only by luck I never had a precious file deleted when I only wanted to access data.

The only thing worse than adding a file shred option to right click would be to wipe all non-system partitions and drives.

• Moderators

The only thing worse than adding a file shred option to right click would be to wipe all non-system partitions and drives.

I wish Microsoft didn't have the Format context menu item on drives when right clicking them in My Computer, although a right click Shred is somewhat useful as long as there's a warning prompt "Are you sure? The file will be permanently destroyed!", etc. As you've stated though the wiping of drives via a right click would be bad, just as bad as having that Format item listed on them.