Windows Safety Center

rridgely

• Moderators

Microsoft has just launched a service called safety center. Its an online scanning service for viruses, pc maintenance, and has lots of pc tips.

Pretty good for computer noobs. I'm running the safety/virus scan right now to see if its any good.

Only downside is that its internet explorer only(active x control required for scans).

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

Microsoft has just launched a service called safety center. Its an online scanning service for viruses, pc maintenance, and has lots of pc tips.

Pretty good for computer noobs. I'm running the safety/virus scan right now to see if its any good.

Only downside is that its internet explorer only(active x control required for scans).

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

22215[/snapback]

So, what's your judgement/thoughts on this one rridgely?

Is it worth doing, or should we stick with whatever current programs we have?

Cheers

• Moderators

I actually think the online virus scanner is pretty good, albeit it gave me one false positive. I don't know what the virus scanning technology is based upon, however Microsoft did acquire RAV Antivirus one or two years ago. The online virus scanner is one of the few that can actually scan inside of RAR archives. It's also a fast virus scanner which reminds me of eTrust EZ Antivirus.

Forget about the cleanup tool it has, it doesn't find anything that CCleaner doesn't already find.

---

Hopefully this is just the beginning of something really useful from Microsoft. I'd love to see Microsoft release a downloadable program that will combine virus scanning, and antispyware all in one application, and of course be free of charge.

I read somewhere that one of the features of Vista will be that when you reboot it will almost be like you did a sort of clean install or system restore as an added protection against malware. Has anyone else heard this or have any comments about whether it's a good idea?

Thanks

As far as I know, SP3 is going to be released? I agree with you as well, that would be a very smart idea, and if it updates, ohh and a real-time scanner! That, would be excellent.

Don't mean to sound dumb, but I'm going to anyway, but is it a big thing putting another service pack on your PC? Does it get rid of files or settings, and also, does it cost money, or will you be able to download it off them (considering it is an update of sorts)?

• Moderators

Microsoft has some other service which is in beta at the moment that automatically scans for viruses, runs maintenance, and makes backups. I can't remember what it's called however it's currently free whilst in the beta stage, however once it's finalized it will be subscription based.

Microsoft has some other service which is in beta at the moment that automatically scans for viruses, runs maintenance, and makes backups. I can't remember what it's called however it's currently free whilst in the beta stage, however once it's finalized it will be subscription based.

do u mean

Windows OneCare Live

--==aGumon==--