Recyle Bin Context Menu issue

ToBeFrank

Since last updating to CC 2.35 (ccsetup235.exe) I noticed an issue with a left over context menu handler with the trash bin option to open CCleaner.

I am running Vista x64. And CCleaner using the German language.

Since the last update the former entry "?ffne CCleaner ..." has been left. It works and links to the specific function yet you cannot turn it off in the settings and if you turn it on there you'll get to entries. Notice that "..." are added to the entry, usually the context menu just says "?ffne CCleaner". The menu item left open is peculiar with that.

I already tried to reinstall older versions to try to set the old option off with them - in vain. If I select to add the handles with the trash bin on install, the install routine yet notices the existing problematic handle and turns the internal option off and does not set up a second handle. It will yet occur if you switch with the option in the programs settings. I only found this problem as the latest update worked differently and switched that second Open CCleaner item on...

Amazingly enough I could neither solve the problem with any other registry cleaning tool so far, when CCleaner is uninstalled, to catch that blank yet somewhere existing link then. Nor did I find any handle with the trash bin context menu handles. I see all the further handles in the shell settings, no traces of the ghost "?ffne CCleaner ..." handle. There is not even any obscure handle left open, nothing. You put that somewehere else, where?

Now I really puzzle how to get rid off that ghost entry. No problem to the authors of that great software I presume.

Thanks for your great software and any hints are welcome.

I don't know if this will help you or not however on my Windows XP SP3 system CCleaner's Recycle Bin entries are located at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

I already tried that, no suggesting clues there on the whereabouts of the entries. :-(

Thanks for your quick response though. Any further ideas. The texts will not be readable as it is a multilanguage app. Any ini Files known with that exceeding those posted on the board already?

• Moderators

try http://nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

if it finds the entry, right click it and choose open in regedit, this should work else just disable it in "shell menu view"

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

if it finds the entry, right click it and choose open in regedit, this should work else just disable it in "shell menu view"

Thanks but: No, that did not work neither. It seems the handle is not stored in the registry or at least there in an obvious manner at all. Any ideas on where else a context menu of a system component of Vista x64 could be stored?

• Moderators

To be frank Frank, (I just had to say that, sorry), I never take anything as a given, so have you tried a complete clean uninstall of CCleaner. I ask because you only mention re-installing older versions, and not how you do it.

You can check "Save all settings to INI file" in "Options\Advanced", and copy the ccleaner.ini from CCleaners "Program Files" folder to somewhere safe, so as to retain your customizations.

Saying that, if you don't already use that method of retaining settings, you could give it a try, and CCleaner should then ignore settings stored in any other location.

The INI file could also be checked and edited if need be to see if it reflected your settings.

Just a thought.

Try

4.65394449 CCleaner.exe:1660 DeleteKey HKCR\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner SUCCESS Key: 0xE107F100

4.65367603 CCleaner.exe:1660 DeleteKey HKCR\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner\command SUCCESS Key: 0xE28EA150

edit*

didnt read top post

Other RB shell locations

[HKCR\Folder\Shell\]

[HKCR\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]

[HKCR\CLSID\{Namespace-CLSID}\shell\]

[HKCR\CLSID\{Namespace-CLSID}\ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers\]

No fate but what we make

Thanks.

I already tried that tool, there is no clue within the registry, I scanned it thoroughly. The only clue may be if someone knows the exact code or CLS-ID CCleaner uses.

To be frank Frank, (I just had to say that, sorry), I never take anything as a given, so have you tried a complete clean uninstall of CCleaner. I ask because you only mention re-installing older versions, and not how you do it.

You can check "Save all settings to INI file" in "Options\Advanced", and copy the ccleaner.ini from CCleaners "Program Files" folder to somewhere safe, so as to retain your customizations.

Saying that, if you don't already use that method of retaining settings, you could give it a try, and CCleaner should then ignore settings stored in any other location.

The INI file could also be checked and edited if need be to see if it reflected your settings.

Just a thought.

Thanks, but I could not find any relevant ini-Files so far. Language is compacted into dlls - Any hints on them?

If you're going to try a clean install by removing CCleaner first may I recommend allowing Revo Uninstaller Free to remove it, using at least the Moderate uninstall feature in Revo, and then of course reboot the system. Hopefully that works and gets things sorted.

Sorry I should have posted: I tried it both ways. In the beginning I of course installed the new one over the old one, as I got into trouble. Yet so far that always worked fine. Later I deinstalled as well - no difference. I had some issues with further programs geting into trouble after using de-installing tools not precisely made for a specific program and rather refrain from using them.

I mean I can toggle the Contextmenue handles on and off with the running program. The registry seems unaffected. Where can you further hide those entries/handles? I am puzzled. Anybody who knows the source code here and give me a hint?

• Moderators

Thanks, but I could not find any relevant ini-Files so far.

Once you have checked the relevant box to enable saving all settings to INI file, it is automatically created in the CCleaner "Program Files" folder ...

BFV1Ns.jpg

If you have your Windows Explorer folder settings set to "hide extensions for known file types", it will look like this with no .ini file extension ...

NBz1Qs.jpg

I mean I can toggle the Contextmenue handles on and off with the running program. The registry seems unaffected. Where can you further hide those entries/handles? I am puzzled. Anybody who knows the source code here and give me a hint?

It is worth using Regshot - free from many places, my favorite is http://www.freewarefiles.com/

First SHOT analyzes the system;

then you do something (e.g. toggle the Contextmenue handles);

Then hit Second SHOT to analyze new state;

Then COMPARE and it gives a file (text or html) showing all registry, file, and folder changes.

Before I use Regshot I block Internet access and disable all Behavior Blocking and A.V.protection,

otherwise the changes detected will include reactions to random Internet stuff.

QUESTION TO WEB-MASTER :-

Why is "Behavior Blocking" rendered "behavior Blocking" ?

I assure you the first instance still has an uppercase 'B' in my composed text

but in Preview it has a lower case 'b'.

Alan

• Moderators

Something to do with the US spelling. The UK Behaviour Blocking renders fine. Well, on my pc here in the UK. Possibly our US members will see the reverse?

PS I do not claim to be a webmaster anywhere.

Something to do with the US spelling. The UK Behaviour Blocking renders fine. Well, on my pc here in the UK. Possibly our US members will see the reverse?

O.K. the above renders fine. Before I forget, I am in the UK also.

It goes wrong below - something to do with the context of the sentence it is in.

UK Behavior Blocking renders

UK "Behavior Blocking" renders

Behavior Blocking.

"Behavior Blocking"

Why is "Behavior Blocking" rendered "behavior Blocking" ?

I assure you the first instance still has an uppercase 'B' in my composed text

but in Preview it has a lower case 'b'.

Could the problem be Beta release of software ?

E.G. I am on Firefox 4.0 Beta 6;

or perhaps the forum is using a Beta release of WYSIWYG Editor - perish the thought ! !

Alan

post-19700-128475829895_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...