huge amounts of data!

marty10

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? The systems slowers WAY down, almost on a daily basis. And then I run Ccleaner, it comes out with literally MILLIONS of MB in the system recycle bin. Then things are back to normal for a day or so, before I have to run it again. What's causing this? I don't have any FILES in the recycle bin when I run the cleaner.

thanks

• Moderators

yer gonna have to give more information

where are these "millions of mb" listed in the summary? ie cache? can you run a analyse and the right click the results and save to log. then post said log to this thread.

What Version of Windows are you using?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Okay, so not millions of MB.... It's actually between 2,000 - 3,000 Mb. Here's what i've got. The system freezes up, I restart, run CCleaner, and these are the results. Virus?

log.txt

yer gonna have to give more information

where are these "millions of mb" listed in the summary? ie cache? can you run a analyse and the right click the results and save to log. then post said log to this thread.

What Version of Windows are you using?

Okay, so not millions of MB.... It's actually between 2,000 - 3,000 Mb. Here's what i've got. The system freezes up, I restart, run CCleaner, and these are the results. Virus?

log.txt

Please watch Nergal's lips, and try to tell us the operating system (and SP2/3 etc).

Your file gives no useful data.

It shows just under 3 GB in 190 files within the recycle bin.

There is no clue given on the name of even one of these 190 files.

The next time I suggest you examine the contents of the recycle bin BEFORE you clean it.

we do not need to know all 190 files, just the top few "heavyweights"

Alan

That's what I'm confused about. My recycle is EMPTY. I don't put anything into it. So where is all this data coming from? Yes, this is XP.

I don't think anything here is wrong, and judging from the size of your recycle bin, I'd say its time to give it a purging. (Guessing you're running windows xp, based on C:\Documents and Settings which in vista/7 is read as C:\users\)

Also, sorry if I'm not a computer expert like the rest of you. That's why I'm asking questions. Because I don't know.

That's what I'm confused about. My recycle is EMPTY. I don't put anything into it. So where is all this data coming from? Yes, this is XP.

It could be a lot of things.

I would run CCleaner then restart. Then run it again and see if any more files are created in the Recycle Bin on startup. If there are none, just keep running CCleaner periodically and see if you notice a pattern. Do they show up in the Recycle Bin all at once or spaced out over 2-3 days.

Also, right-click the Recycle Bin icon, select Properties and check "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." It will be interesting to see if they go away when you do that.

I would also make sure Windows is set to show hiddden files & folders. Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Show hidden files and folders. If it's malware it might be creating hidden files.

Thank you Norel. I'll check some of this stuff. I think it's odd that CCleaner is finding all this data to delete, when the Recycle Bin is empty BEFORE I run it. I don't think it's a problem with CCleaner, but with this old, slow computer, which I have to use at work. My malware detectors aren't finding anything, and I'm running ESET. This only happens after the system freezes up, and I no choice but to restart. Then I run CCleaner, all this data shows up, and then everything is fine for awhile.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It could be a lot of things.

I would run CCleaner then restart. Then run it again and see if any more files are created in the Recycle Bin on startup. If there are none, just keep running CCleaner periodically and see if you notice a pattern. Do they show up in the Recycle Bin all at once or spaced out over 2-3 days.

Also, right-click the Recycle Bin icon, select Properties and check "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted." It will be interesting to see if they go away when you do that.

I would also make sure Windows is set to show hiddden files & folders. Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Show hidden files and folders. If it's malware it might be creating hidden files.

• Moderators

Hi, I was a little confused yesterday and didn't lay out the log file question very well

here's what I need

1) a Log of the analyse

2) a log (called it log clean) of the clean

I'll then look over it and see what it's saying is being analysed and not cleaned

and absolulty misread this entire thread. so ccleaner cleans a bunch of recycle bin items and the recycle bin refills within days?

It sounds like maybe your recycle bin is corrupt

instead of doing as norel said and turning off recycle bin

try this (it should work for xp, vista and seven so ignore that the article says vista)

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2802/vista_how_to_reset_recycle_bin/

steps 1-2 may even show you what these files are

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, Nergal, for the link to the tech-recipes.com article on how to reset the Windows recycle bin.

try this (it should work for xp, vista and seven so ignore that the article says vista)

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2802/vista_how_to_reset_recycle_bin/

My symptoms were CCleaner hanging while running the cleaner, at ~30%, seemingly stuck on large .iso files (200MB-4GB) in the recycle bin of an attached eSATA drive. Despite repeated attempts to let CCleaner finish (and it did appear to complete after very lengthy sessions), only the typical items showed when I re-ran "Analyze"; but when I hit "Run Cleaner" it would again get stuck on the same large .iso files. I was searching through this Piriform support forum, and came upon this thread.

Since following the steps in the tech-recipes.com article seems to have resolved my symptoms, I assume $Recycle.bin had become corrupted. BTW, another symptom was that my eSATA drive showed only about 300MB free, when there should have been well over 300GB free (on a 1TB drive). Hope this helps anyone else in similar circumstances.

Using CCleaner (slim) v2.35.1219 on Win Vista Ultimate x64

• Moderators

Some Recycle Bin issues I've seen over the years can be sometimes fixed by:

1. Create any new file, such as create a New Text Document -- you'll need to do this on all hard disk(s) and partitions which are visible to Windows.

2. Delete those New Text Document(s).

3. Right click the Recycle Bin on the Desktop and select Empty Recycle Bin.

This often gets rid of undetectable possibly corrupt data that's in the Recycle Bin, it wouldn't hurt to also run Check Disk ("chkdsk"), Vista instructions to run it are here.