Idea for new Piriform Product...

mr don

There are a lot of programs that install thousands of entries in your computer.

Sometimes you have a failed install, or even an old install that gets corrupted & just will not uninstall no matter what.

Additionally, there are those programs who do not even include an uninstaller.

Is there a way to create a program that a user can install which upon installation will do the following?:

- Track all installations. All registry keys created during install, + all files created during install.

- Auto create an "uninstaller" for each program installed.

- Give a user the ability to see all the registry keys added/modified by the install.

- Give a user the option to remove all the registry keys made by the program, or to remove all the files made by the program, or complete uninstall.

- Automatically create a .reg of all the registry keys added in a single .reg file.

- Create a restore point before installation of the program is started (have the option) as well as creating a restore point on removal of a program.

- Automatically know to unregister any OCX or DLL files created by a process before attempting an uninstall.

- Add to the F8 menu on windows, the option to run an uninstaller before windows loads, including windows update updates. Windows updates sometimes crash a computer to the point of not loading into windows at all. It would help to be able to uninstall the last process installed, so the user can get back into windows!

- Lock down a computer so that it always returns to the exact same state it was in on reboot (Cafe machines? Hotel machines? Noone can mess them up!)

I would love to be able to have something like this, as it would enable me, with dead on precision, to totally remove programs I never have been able to "totally" remove before because of all the junk left behind even by installers. Such as Norton AV products, McAffee, Malware programs, etc. I really love the concept & idea that not only could I have a really, really clean machine, but that no program is safe to hook into my machine, because I can un-hook it completely. Malware? Nowhere to hide! Norton? Not safe leaving thousands of registry bloat on my machine any more! Print Shop? Totally gone! Zapped! Trial programs? Can try them all with ease! This would take care of malware, trojans, worms, spyware, trashware, trialware, bloatware, or any kind of problem you could possibly face, since every action on the PC could be reversed! Ok, well a lot of the problems!

Thanks!

+ me if you like this idea!

Hi mr don. Seems a good idea. Until it comes out have you seen this: Piriform thread. Or you might use returnil or something like that.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Until it comes out have you seen this: Piriform thread.

That coupled along with first always using Revo Uninstaller Free or a paid version, then use what was logged by Total Uninstall 2.35 (Last Freeware Edition) or a newer paid version, or ZSoft Uninstaller (freeware).

Edit:

Although with "total/complete" uninstallers they can sometimes damage Windows when it comes to drivers by removing too much.

Andavari, which of those uninstallers do you like, if I may ask?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Yes, I'd like the uninstalled programs to leave absolutely nothing behind when they are removed. But even the free Revo can't remove every single one of them.

I hate the fact that they may leave DLLs, empty folders and files that are suspected to degrade performance. I think its a great idea and I like it but based on my assumptions, its highly unlikely that Piriform will make such a program especially if there are programs out there that can somehow do it and of course there is this concern for inexperienced users making mistakes and putting the blame on Piriform.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Yes, I'd like the uninstalled programs to leave absolutely nothing behind when they are removed. But even the free Revo can't remove every single one of them.

I hate the fact that they may leave DLLs, empty folders and files that are suspected to degrade performance. I think its a great idea and I like it but based on my assumptions, its highly unlikely that Piriform will make such a program especially if there are programs out there that can somehow do it and of course there is this concern for inexperienced users making mistakes and putting the blame on Piriform.

Thanks!

This is exactly my concern, that other uninstallers leave behind trace registry items, user app data directories, common program file folders, & even dll & ocx files left over in the Windows or the System32 folders.

Would be wonderful to finally have a tool that can totally revert all changes by a program 100%!

Malware? Gone! / Toolbars? Gone! / Kids on the computer? - All traces of what they installed... Gone!

Would be wonderful to finally have a tool that can totally revert all changes by a program 100%!

Malware? Gone! / Toolbars? Gone! / Kids on the computer? - All traces of what they installed... Gone!

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered Returnil? Simply put, when activated, it virtualizes your system drive. Upon reboot, everything that happened is wiped clean.

Several frequent posters on this forum use it.

Edit: Oops - Nevermind. I should've read the preceding posts more thoroughly before responding. It looks like login123 already made the suggestion.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered Returnil? Simply put, when activated, it virtualizes your system drive. Upon reboot, everything that happened is wiped clean.

Several frequent posters on this forum use it.

Edit: Oops - Nevermind. I should've read the preceding posts more thoroughly before responding. It looks like login123 already made the suggestion.

Returnil is ok, but it seems to have a negative impact. That is to say, to use far more resources than it should. CCleaner is an example of a small, light app that uses a minimal amount of processing time to do it's job.

I will, however, keep checking. Perhaps sometime I will either stumble upon or create the perfect utility to revert changes to a system, particularly rootkit blockers.

If I can make suggestions to Microsoft, how about a utility that they should embed on their future operating systems that could perhaps remove everything that wasn't there since Windows was installed and restore everything that might have been damaged or lost but offer to spare your files???? This should be more efficient than reformatting.

I have this invalid Java entry still left in my Control Panel. I removed Java and all of its components and there is no directory left that I know of that this entry links to that I can safely delete. It just looks like a folder, not the Java logo anymore and an error box appears when I open it. The only way I can remove this is perhaps from the Registry but I don't know where to look. I did a lot of registry cleaning but that was of no help.

I have also seen the Revo Pro, not sure if that was the latest but it wasn't as good as I hoped. It has a confusing user interface as it would open tabs when you open sections of it. The portable version I had on my USB was way better. Even Revo Pro did leave invalid folders and registry entries when it was removed.

So to put it this way, I do vote for such a great utility program to be made.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

Andavari, which of those uninstallers do you like, if I may ask?

Revo Uninstaller Free and Total Uninstall (Last Freeware Edition). Although with Total Uninstall you seriously have to watch what you're doing since it can cause system damage if using it to remove drivers, i.e.; display driver, mouse driver, printer/scanner driver, etc.

I use Powershadow. It runs light. I don't even notice it.

It doesn't get much attention nowadays, but I can't say enough good about it. Whatever happens while it is running is gone when you restart. Have installed programs, made changes to Microsoft word templates, deleted programs I really want to keep, reset the configurations of Outpost firewall, changed the settings for Avast!, gotten tagged by malawares known and unknown...all gone after restart. Have tried tracking registry changes, and all I tried were gone after, but cannot say about that with 100 percent confidence. The registry is ornery, one can never be sure. :P

It runs lighter than returnil, but returnil is a great program. DennisD is the resident authority, and I would defer to his judgement in that and all software matters, but I do know a bit about Powershadow.

PS is not for Windows 7, apparently.

When I start the computer, I update as needed, then turn PS on, then after that save anything I need to on an external drive. Sometimes Avast updates while PS is running, so that will be gone after restart, but no problem, just update it again after your next restart, before you start PS.

It is not now free, but it was. I think the version at this Link, post number 393, still is.

Still, I wish Piriform would create such an app. The Piri team just does great work.