Speculatory question

Winapp2.ini

This'll be invalid by the time anyone answers (I wholeheartedly hope) but at 2:49AM (eastern) on 6/26/10, I've been awake for roughly 38 hours. I was wondering how long you guys think one can stay awake before they lose their grip on sanity (this isn't my goal :P, just can't sleep, this is worse than usual though)

Now if you'll excuse me, an investigative sponge just arrived at my door step and I must see him off.

• Moderators

Depends upon the person before they "lose grip with reality." Lack of sleep can make a normal person act like they have neurological problems such as psychosis. Well actually not having sleep can make someone psychotic since a tired brain isn't a normal brain.

Funny you should mention that since I just watched a sleep study documentary the other day on TV. The one guy in the documentary was actually asleep while "seemingly awake," even while driving a car on a test track and doing horrible at it. The bad thing is not having proper sleep causes allot of problems such as very highly increasing your chance of getting diabetes, and a whole host of other nasty health hazards.

Eventually your brain will make you sleep since it can shutdown parts of itself to rest, or just knock you flat-out to get the rest it requires for your survival.

It would be nice if we humans could sleep like some animals do (some birds I think) where they can shutdown half their brain whilst one side sleeps, and the other stays fully active and conscious to protect against predator animals.

Read this and you'll want to get some sleep soon.;)

• Moderators

It would be nice if we humans could sleep like some animals do (some birds I think) where they can shutdown half their brain whilst one side sleeps, and the other stays fully active and conscious to protect against predator animals.

Read this and you'll want to get some sleep soon.;)

Hibernating during the Winter weather could be nice, but in the UK that could mean being asleep for 6 months.

Hibernating during the Winter weather could be nice, but in the UK that could mean being asleep for 6 months.

And people would get fat like hell so they can get prepared to hibernate? :lol:

*imagines US of A* :P

• Moderators

*imagines US of A* :P

Just wait until 100% of our population is obese, and hungry as hell, that's when wars will be started in other countries just for their Twinkies, but at that point only sitting on someone would be effective and forget ground battles because nobody could walk more than 1/4 mile.:lol: I can't remember the exact percent but I know it's over 60% obesity now in the U.S.

This'll be invalid by the time anyone answers (I wholeheartedly hope) but at 2:49AM (eastern) on 6/26/10, I've been awake for roughly 38 hours. I was wondering how long you guys think one can stay awake before they lose their grip on sanity (this isn't my goal :P, just can't sleep, this is worse than usual though)

Now if you'll excuse me, an investigative sponge just arrived at my door step and I must see him off.

Are you still up? I've done 24+ several times when I was ~20 but wouldn't recommend it. People in war situations have done it for long stretches.

------------------

On overweight and obesity, well since the computer, home video games, cell phones it's really gone up. GET OUT AND EXERCISE! ;)

More than a third of U.S. adults are obese. But at least the climb in the country?s obesity rate seems to be slowing.

Figures from the National Center for Health Statistics showed 34% of Americans age 20 and older were obese in 2007-08, according to a study of CDC data published in JAMA today. Add in people who are overweight and the total goes to 68%. Seventeen percent of children ages 2 through 19 were obese and 32% were overweight, another JAMA study said.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

No need to worry about weight problems, I'm underweight (despite my diet which should put me at a normal weight)

my total awake time was somewhere between 39 and 41 hours, I eventually got myself to sleep by staring at my grey wall unblinkingly till I eventually fell asleep. Good tactic :)

I do have these lovely dark circles forming beneath my eyes though.