Cleaning selected Registry items

electrojim

When certain programs are run, they create folders in the Windows Registry. In particular, certain IM programs create "profiles" for users with registry values. These profile folders can be manually deleted with no ill effect; the program simply makes a new one the next time its used.

It would be useful if CCleaner could exorcise these folders when it's run, but I can't figure out how to Add the location under Include in Options, as the Registry seems to be off limits to the Browse button. Is this possible? Thanks.

To eliminate any record of the user with a specific IM profile having logged-on.

I never knew it was possible for a folder to be created in the registry

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Perhaps OP would like to expand the term "Specific IM programs"

Ident (I think) OP is refering to a branch in the Registry which is (GUI-wise) represented by a folder

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I never knew it was possible for a folder to be created in the registry

Neither did I. But there it was: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Yahoo/Profiles/(my sign-in ID). Big as life, all right. You can delete the folder, but the next time you sign into Yahoo IM, it creates it again. No big deal, but what if you're on a public computer somewhere? Maybe their log-in name isn't a big deal with most people, but it shows that you have been on that machine. Those of us with several (possibly secret? ...sorry, I can't talk about that) IM accounts might not want those identities known.

• Moderators

No big deal, but what if you're on a public computer somewhere? Maybe their log-in name isn't a big deal with most people, but it shows that you have been on that machine.

Perhaps an alternative to Yahoo and all the stuff it leaves behind. Maybe try portable IM programs there's Miranda IM Portable and Pidgin Portable on PortableApps.com, I've never tried either of them before and can't vouch for them. They're supposed to leave nothing behind, and you could run them directly from a USB Thumb Drive.

Neither did I. But there it was: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Yahoo/Profiles/(my sign-in ID). Big as life, all right. You can delete the folder, but the next time you sign into Yahoo IM, it creates it again. No big deal, but what if you're on a public computer somewhere? Maybe their log-in name isn't a big deal with most people, but it shows that you have been on that machine. Those of us with several (possibly secret? ...sorry, I can't talk about that) IM accounts might not want those identities known.

Well I have been flushing out registry keys related to my Yahoo Messenger ID, particularly on the profiles thing. I am aware they are recreated when you log in again anyway but I do feel that your idea has a certain point.

However, I use another registry cleaner called "Wise Registry Cleaner" for this, but that is a more powerful registry cleaner and its not designed for inexperienced users, although it has never really given me problems that I know of when it comes to this. Those keys related to my Yahoo Messenger profile are categorized as "empty keys" though.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

Perhaps an alternative to Yahoo and all the stuff it leaves behind. Maybe try portable IM programs there's Miranda IM Portable and Pidgin Portable on PortableApps.com, I've never tried either of them before and can't vouch for them. They're supposed to leave nothing behind, and you could run them directly from a USB Thumb Drive.

Just to follow up on this, Miranda is Portable without the Portable apps version (that just adds unneeded stuff)

Miranda can be placed on a memory stick and run and has no %Appdata% or registry usage.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com