CCleaner.exe vanishing

pygmalion

I have a peculiar problem. CCleaner works great, however, if I click on the desktop icon after I shut down or reboot I get a message that the link is no longer valid, the file doesn't exist. If I go to C:\Program Files\CCleaner, sure enough, the CCLeaner.exe file is gone. The Lang and Uninst.exe files are still there though. Very annoying that; sucks having to redownload the program every time I want to use it. I can't figure it out. Anybody have a suggestion?

• Moderators

If you're using an older version of CCleaner there was a bug in it which was super difficult to track down that would cause it to delete itself - but only if the Startup folder was missing in one or perhaps both of these areas (these are WinXP areas I'm listing):

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Profile Name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Simply re-making a missing Startup folder would cure the problem, however updating to the newest CCleaner version is the best solution.

The reason the Startup folder gets removed I don't know, but I suspect some disk cleaning tool to be the culprit - not CCleaner though.

I've been downloading Version 2.32.1165 from both Piriform and FileHippo.

Checked:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

For some strange reason CCleaner hasn't been getting added to

\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

during installation. I simply placed a copy there myself and now all is right with the world, or at least with this clunky old machine. Should have thought of it myself. The simple things always seem to confound me. Thanks for the help. Still a bit puzzled as to why the CCleaner folder missing from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

would cause CCleaner.exe to be deleted from C:\Program Files\CCleaner though.

That was weird. The CCleaner.exe application is deleting itself with no apparent reasons. It could be a virus or it could be one of those bugs that happen with the later CCleaner versions when run on Windows Vista and Windows XP computers. The CCleaner versions that are especially designed for Windows 7 had bugs appearing when installed on Vista and XP, I think.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.