Computer crushed when runing CCleaner

zaboss

My computer crushed unexpectedly while I was performing a check with CCleaner. It was on it's last stages, when it cleans up the unused space, just when it had less than 300 MB to finished. After restarting, the hard is full (less than 200 MB free). How can I recover my space (about 23 GB). Thanks.

Run it again. Or manually remove the temp file it created. You can locate this file via windirstat http://windirstat.info/

Forgive my directness but from your wording cleaning up "unused space" i get the impression you think it will increase free space on maybe a performance increase. Neither are correct.

The only time you need to use it, is if you are selling your computer.

No fate but what we make

Thanks for the prompt reply. Neither one of your assumptions are correct ;). I am using this tool simply because it is how CCleaner works by default. If it's useless in the process of cleaning, maybe the feature should be puted elsewhere and not run by default.

Anyway, reruning CC did indeed the trick.

Don't use Wipe Free Space. As ident said, it will not free up space and it will not increase performance. It will only delete already deleted files, i.e. making your deleted data unrecoverable.

@Piriform devs >> That's why so many people were against adding it to CCleaner :angry:

Piriform French translator

@Piriform devs >> That's why so many people were against adding it to CCleaner :angry:

I personally was never against it. It has not really effected ccleaner size, and can be a useful tool. But putting it in the general cleaning section was very silly. Many people don't really understand what it is for and check it.

I can picture it sitting nicely next to system restore.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Sorry to disagrre but I just downloaded and installed CCcleaner and Wipe Free Space is checked by default.

The 'Wipe MFT Free Space' is on by default but it can only be enabled/used if 'Wipe Free Space drives' is also enabled. 'Wipe Free Space drives' isn't however on by default.

Sorry to disagrre but I just downloaded and installed CCcleaner and Wipe Free Space is checked by default.

#disagree to you are blue in the face. WFS is not checked by default.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

#disagree to you are blue in the face. WFS is not checked by default.

Ident correct: per latest embedded ini

[Wipe Free Space]
ID=1030
LangSecRef=3004
LangRef=3132
WarningRef=3207
Default=False
DetectOS=5.0
SpecialKey1=N_EX_WIPE_MFT_FREE_SPACE
SpecialKey2=N_EX_WIPEFREESPACE

Default=False

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

You appear to have seen this topic BEFORE you performed the above test.

That suggests you already had CCleaner installed.

Is it possible that you had previously checked the Wipe Free Space option,

and this over-rode the UNcheck default that is expected of a clean install.

Alan

Eish! 2.30 totally destroyed my laptop recently. I have been using this utility for a few years without any problems, then upgraded to 2.30 and wham! Laptop needed reformatting. Now I am too scared to use this utility at all, on any of my 5 machines all with different operating systems - Win2k SP4, XP-Home, Vista Business 32 x 2, and Vista Ultimate 64.

Is there anything I should NOT check?

Eish! 2.30 totally destroyed my laptop recently. I have been using this utility for a few years without any problems, then upgraded to 2.30 and wham! Laptop needed reformatting. Now I am too scared to use this utility at all, on any of my 5 machines all with different operating systems - Win2k SP4, XP-Home, Vista Business 32 x 2, and Vista Ultimate 64.

Is there anything I should NOT check?

How did ccleaner destroy your machine? Or did you use the registry tool, and not make a backup and just click fix?

No fate but what we make