CCleaner Maxed Out?

Kwmitch

I ran CCleaner last night and my computer was in BAD shape. It detected thousands of errors. I was informed that the free CCleaner download only fixed 25 errors and that I would have to purchase the product for $29.99. What gives? Is this right?

Thanks

• Moderators

Where did you download it from please?

CCleaner is FREE for all to use with no restrictions on fixes etc.

Downloads can be made from here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

or here

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I wonder if one of FileHippo's ad's could've been mistakenly clicked - that's happened before with someone coming on here thinking CCleaner had to be purchased.

CCleaner can't be purchased since it's freeware, although Piriform does accept donations on the official Piriform software websites.

A thousand errors, wow that seems so much. On an average PC that has never had registry cleaning, CCleaner would normally detect a few tens or a few hundred errors but I have never used CCleaner on a computer that it detected more than a thousand errors. Perhaps another registry cleaner with a much deeper registry cleaning feature can detect that much however they are usually paid.

CCleaner is free and is perhaps the most widely used and most famous utility software out there in the Internet right now and could it be that someone made a counterfeit of CCleaner, modified some of its features, took advantage of its popularity, then made a paid version out of it so that they could get the proceeds for themselves??? Anything is possible. And this crook right now might have found a way to distribute the fake product into the trusted site where you download CCleaner. Quite an alarming situation, if you ask me.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Hi Kwmitch,

I had exactly the same problem ie max 25 cleaned, a further ?24.99 to clean the other 1330 problems!!!

After much headscratching and puzzling, i realised that i had clicked the LARGE 'Download Now' tab on the left of screen. This is actually an ad for another registry cleaner. The one you want is much smaller & at the top of a list on the RIGHT hand side of the screen. (says Download ccleaner now)!!

I clicked and downloaded the correct free cleaner & ran it and fixed my problems. I then used the ccleaner to uninstall the registry cleaner i had inadvertenly downloaded!!

Sorry such a long winded reply but sure this will solve the mystery for you!

Hi Kwmitch,

I had exactly the same problem ie max 25 cleaned, a further ?24.99 to clean the other 1330 problems!!!

After much headscratching and puzzling, i realised that i had clicked the LARGE 'Download Now' tab on the left of screen. This is actually an ad for another registry cleaner. The one you want is much smaller & at the top of a list on the RIGHT hand side of the screen. (says Download ccleaner now)!!

I clicked and downloaded the correct free cleaner & ran it and fixed my problems. I then used the ccleaner to uninstall the registry cleaner i had inadvertenly downloaded!!

Sorry such a long winded reply but sure this will solve the mystery for you!

Tell us what was the exact name of the other registry cleaner you downloaded??? And maybe give the link of the page where you clicked that large download now button. Maybe the guys here can investigate that.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators
The other Registry Cleaner is named Registry Reviver by ReviverSoft : http://www.reviversoft.com/registry-reviver/lp/1/index.php

The ad only appears on FH's CCleaner download page.

Interesting since that's been reported twice now in not so many months. Damn ads. Another reason to download software from its official website, or more carefully read what's about to be clicked.