Misc Installer Removal

Joines.M

On a countless number of times where I have been called to cleanup a clients PC the first thing I see on their desktop and most sub folders are the endless amounts of random installers that are left over and never deleted. These include Itunes, CCleaner installers <- which you would expect CCleaner to at least delete its own installer, AOL installers, etc. The installer files take up a bulk amount of space when they're left around.

Obviously some people would want the option to keep certain versions of installers, and possibly larger installers that they don't want to have to re download. This is why you could possibly make a separate tab for this option under tools. Maybe a "Old Installer Cleanup" tab of sorts. It could scan and list all installer files and that way you could check/uncheck whichever installer files you wanted to keep/delete.

Now whether something like this is even possible or not is beyond me, that's why I am posting here! I've been looking around for something like this for a while, and figured the best cleaner tool around should have the best utilities in it as well.

• Moderators

Personally I would not want ccleaner deleting any of my installers. I have some that may not be available anymore on the net.

Perhaps it's more to do with 'good housekeeping' training. You are in a good position when cleaning up your clients pc's to mention this to them.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the welcome :P

Most peoples computers who I end up cleaning question what an installer actually is to begin with, hence the suggestion.

The tool definitely shouldn't delete them on its own, that's why I said it should list them and you could be able to decide.

But even with this the creators of ccleaner would have to find some way to search for installer files, which are never always named "installer" "install" etc, so I am not quite sure how probable it is anyways

• Moderators

Saving installers on the desktop would get very unsightly to say the least, they could create a dedicated download folder "C:\My Download Files" and move the setups to keep into a dedicated folder "C:\My Setups".

I really wouldn't was CCleaner or any other tool offering to do anything with them on my system, some of the setups I have are for discontinued software ("abandon-ware") no longer developed.

Like Andavari, I keep all of my installers. It's just easier to redeploy (onto a different machine sometimes) and sometimes I'll uninstall something only to decide to use it again months later.

As you point out, one of the problems that a tool would face is identifying installers in the first place - msis are straightforward but not exes and those in zip containers. And it would have to scan the entire machine, potentially. And yes, often even when you find it it's not clear from the name what the installer is.

I have my download manager point to a specific download directory and everything goes there. But of course that doesn't solve your problem ... I guess all you can do is educate after the event :)

I saved some space by removing an Installer for Perfect Disc.

When an update became available it failed because the original installer had to UNinstall the existing version before the later version could install.

Fortunately I was warned of this hazard when I asked before removal, so I was able to retrieve from an archive, after which I had a good update.

Some applications have options, and some of them can only be reconfigured with the Installer.

If the Installer is removed and the user reads the help manual and decides on a different configuration,

he will be disappointed that he cannot reconfigure, especially if running a missing installer causes a BSOD.

Alan

I created a folder on a separated disk partition where my installers are all kept. In case my PC gets formatted, they will remain in that folder as long as I don't format that partition where they are kept.

I also keep a number of installers and other files on a USB as a form of backup so I can take them to other computers and install them there.

If there is anything I want CCleaner to find and remove, that would be the leftover folders of uninstalled applications that are just occupying space since some applications don't fully tidy themselves up when they are uninstalled.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.