Volume Shadow Copy Issue

Tom AZ

From time to time, I've noticed that my Volume Shadow Copy doesn't always activate when it should for a couple backup programs I use. After a reboot or two, it seems to "come alive" again, but that routine gets a little annoying. Any suggestions? Could there possibly be some settings that might need changing?

Go to Start > run and type services.msc

Make sure that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is set to automatic and started.

Now make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual and stoped (if it's running don't stop it, restart instead).

Exactly the way I have it set. For some reason, sometimes it just acts like it's not real stable.

• Moderators
Exactly the way I have it set. For some reason, sometimes it just acts like it's not real stable.

Indeed, which is why I don't use any backup software that relies upon it to function since I don't know what mood VSC will be in. I use a batch file for backups and 7-Zip instead and haven't had any issues doing that for three years.

Indeed, which is why I don't use any backup software that relies upon it to function since I don't know what mood VSC will be in. I use a batch file for backups and 7-Zip instead and haven't had any issues doing that for three years.

So, Andaravi, can I interpret your statement as this is not particularly unusual behavior for VSC? Thought maybe it was just something on my end. It doesn't happen all the time -- it's sporadic.

Your backup suggestion is a good one, but I use (and like a lot) Macrium Reflect, which uses VSC -- and also another program that backs up to an online server -- it also uses VSC. Seems like VSC is the "Service" of choice for these backup utilities. :D

Tom I use this service for my backups with FD-ISR (original one) and it has never caused me any bother in the last 3 years.

It is set to automatic in services.

I currently have it set to Manual, which I believe is the default setting. However, I have also tried Automatic. Interestingly, it seems to respond about the same either way -- not much difference.

• Moderators
So, Andaravi, can I interpret your statement as this is not particularly unusual behavior for VSC? Thought maybe it was just something on my end. It doesn't happen all the time -- it's sporadic.

It's sporadic, however that's enough for me not to trust it, and it's been like that from day one back when I had XP Pro SP1 all the way to SP3. If I wanted to backup the whole hard disk which I don't, I'd be very tempted to use a boot CD like BartPE, etc., for the whole copying process.

• Moderators

The shortcomings of VSC detailed here, shows the importance of using "Verify" at every stage of making a backup with Macrium or any other Disk Imaging program.

Verifying can be disabled as a time saver when making and restoring an Image, but doing that could be the worst shortcut you could ever take, and result in the disaster of a failed "Restore".