Programming

Guest Mangix

Don't know how to program in any modern languages, but I used to program in Basic, 24 years ago.

I would love to be able to program again.

If you can write in Basic you could do Visual Basic (or Delphi!) pretty easily.

i am learning Visual C++, Visual Basic.NET, Visual C#.NET (ASP.NET) and J2ME... but cannot make it... :(

I used to write in VB6, and I cannot stand .NET because they literally changed everything around. To use Winsock alone is a pain in the ass.

i didnt try the VB6... i went into .NET straight away... sometimes do progamming will go crazy... :lol:

I used to write tons of applications in VB. I've written chat bots and even an MDI client for a chat site. People adored it and it was a free alternative. Eventually one of the other programmers complained and it got banned. So I migrated it to another server and it since has died. If I knew a lot more Delphi I'd totally redo it.

i accually quite like .NET

.NET basically removes the need for every popular COM Object that was made by microsoft and some APIs have now been made obselete such as CopyMemory or the Registry APIs

i only like it because .NET functions are shared and you dont need to declare em :)

and you have to understand that .NET is the future whether you like it or not. C++, VB, C#, J#, Delphi, and maybe other languages are all .NET now

no

for Delphi and VB6 nope

HOWEVER you could get VB 2005 Beta 2 for free

it's at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vbasic/default.aspx

just click the download now and ignore everything else. also if you can, get the MSDN Library. it's really nice. also note that VB 2005 is .NET ;)

edit:btw if you want to program in VB 2005, you dont need the IDE. you could just make a program from notepad however it is much much harder and requires the .NET Framework SDK 2.0 Beta 2

I have programmed in Visual Basic 6 some years ago, 5 too if I dont remember wrong.

The good thing is that its easy and it doesnt take much time to create things.

But the bad thing is that people who want to run your applications will need the vb runtimes (vbrun) dlls.

Also you are locked to the Windows platform. And you need to have Microsoft Visual Basic which costs money.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png