A Few IE7 Questions . . .

Tom AZ

For several years, I've been a avid FIREFOX fan and user ? I love the add-ons, the layout and all the other features. During most of that time, I had very few problems. For some reason, however, over the last month or so, I've had more and more problems with FF not responding and reacting properly. Quite honestly, it's become rather annoying. So much so that I'm seriously thinking of going back to IE7 (gasp!!!). Even though I'm not a huge fan of IE, it seems to be more stable and reliable -- at least on my machine.

Having said that, there are a few things in FIREFOX that are rather important to me. However, I haven't used IE for so long, I'm not sure if something similar exists in IE -- or if there are similar add-ons. So, here are some of the Firefox features/add-ons for which I'm wondering if there is an IE counterpart:

1) Bookmarks "Search Bar." Is there one for IE ? or is there an add-on to create one?

2) "AdBlocker Plus" - for blocking ads

3) "InformEnter" ? a little add-on to simplify online form filling

4) "FEBE" - for backing up your Bookmarks and other profile info

5) "Tempomail" - for creating temporary e-mail addresses

6) The ability to create personal toolbars and folders

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Before making the swap to IE7 or 8

I'd advise:

1 Try disabling all addons and test Firefox again.

2 Try Firefox in safe mode to test against a profile issue : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

3 Completely uninstall then reinstall (Now if you have passwords saved or other profile/addons you need to save first I'm

sure others could recommend a backup extension)

4 If its still not working properly there are other browser that may be worth a try and are better than IE (Opera or Google Chrome)

fireryone

• Moderators

If you're still using that older 2.x version of Firefox that may be your issue on some sites. You can test that out by using Firefox Portable to see if it fixes any issues without having to uninstall your current version. Hint: You can even install your favourite addons into the portable version.

And like fireryone stated there's other browsers besides IE that you may like while at the same time not having to deal with exploits that could possibly infiltrate your system.

Basically

1. Doesn't modify the registry, so no mess on removal.

2. Only need it once on a usb stick and you can use it anywhere.

3. In your case you could have a fresh copy of Firefox without uninstalling first.

fireryone

Open FF Portable's options area, then click on the Advanced button, and you'll be in the General section which has a button to check if Firefox Portable is your default browser. Click the Check Now button and click Yes. (I think that works, if not check the link I gave in my previous post).