computer slow

incy wincy

Hi all

recently i have been experiencing computer slow down,i have little in my start up so i doubt it could be that,

i do a complete scan every week with ewido,s&d,cwshredderand avg i also have spyware blaster and update regular nothing has been found.

would a memory increase help?or could it be something else,any help would be g

rateful.thanks :)

p.s i forgot to mention i have CCleaner 1.23

well u know how much ram u have. to find out how many procceses are running just go into task manager and it should appear in the bottom left corner

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

control + alt + del (Xp). i think u would find that a memory increase would make a difference. nowaydays a pc should really have at least 512mb ram. i have that and i find that i have some slowdown aswell but i cant really afford to get more at the moment.

also how full is ur hard drive??

memory is ram which u sed was 248. to find hard drive usage double click on my computer then right click on ur hard drive then on properties and see how much space is free

• Moderators

To find your amount of installed RAM you can also right click My Computer and select Properties->General, it will be listed at the bottom along with other system info.

Your slowdown can also be the cause of a fragmented system registry, which is something NTREGOPT or RegCompact.NET can take care of.

There's many reason a system can slowdown, however the usual culprits to look into first are running tasks and disabling unnecessary ones such as an IM client, media player, etc., which is a first step to take. If all else fails upgrading your RAM by installing more will help significantly if you already don't have enough. WinXP does need a minimum of 512 MB RAM to run smoother, however more ram than that will help even more.

its not so much defraging the registry those programs rebuild it from scratch. so they get rid of free space and i think useless keys

• Moderators

Defrag can't do what registry optimizer programs can do, as oli said they rebuild them from scratch. The registry optimizers can get rid of empty gaps that can be taking up a few KB to several MB in the registry, and could cause a system to become sluggish.

Maintenance like cleaning the registry is only one part of making the registry leaner and more efficient, the second part is using a registry optimizer to make all the registry cleaning worthwhile and noticable.

• Moderators

EasyCleaner will run fine so long as you don't use the Duplicates finder, that's the dangerous part of EasyCleaner.

As for NTREGOPT and RegCompact.NET you should be fine, they both create backups however to restore the registry backup they create you'd need to use the Recovery Console, have a PC Tech restore them, or the simpliest solution use ERUNT that comes with NTREGOPT to backup the registry before compacting it with either registry optimizer tool.

As for NTREGOPT and RegCompact.NET you should be fine, they both create backups however to restore the registry backup they create you'd need to use the Recovery Console, have a PC Tech restore them, or the simpliest solution use ERUNT that comes with NTREGOPT to backup the registry before compacting it with either registry optimizer tool.

can we repair it ourselves..? it happened once on my system... arh!!! then i dont know what to do... i just format my C:\

--==aGumon==--

hi .. im no wizz kid .. by that i mean im not a pro in pcs but i thought your hard drives look a little full as well.

Talking of disk de fragg .. i tried that & my pc took 3 hrs & my prob did not go away. I copied most of the stuff fron C drive & did a format & re-install .. i know it aint "as" quick but saved me loads of time trying to sort it out. .. This internet is a timebomb! Most of the gremlins seem to creep in from the net. I tried spyware & had antivirus / firewall running but got well n trully clobbered last July! The program from the net got thru my firewall & installed before i could blink an eye.

(probably due to broadband connection being faster)

Then the cheeky program presented me with virus warnings !!! can u believe it! .. i couldnt get rid of it .. the pc was virtually locked up!

... so i re-installed everything. Thats not what id call good way to do business.

Anyhow good luck russ