Missing Computer Icon

Amtrak7

• Moderators

You may need to refresh the icon cache on your system. If that doesn't work traditionally the My Computer icon has been stored in "<windows directory>\Explorer.exe", it's the first icon in Explorer.exe which you can change that shortcut to use as the icon.

You may need to refresh the icon cache on your system. If that doesn't work traditionally the My Computer icon has been stored in "<windows directory>\Explorer.exe", it's the first icon in Explorer.exe which you can change that shortcut to use as the icon.

How do I flush the icon cache?

• Moderators

Possibly a broken icon. You can re-create the My Computer shortcut by right clicking My Computer and selecting Create Shortcut, then just replace the broken one with the new one. That's assuming it works the same in Vista as in previous versions of Windows.

Doesn't work. In the procces of creating the shortcut, I realized that the Desktop icon of the same size is also missing.

I did tell you that only that size was missing, right? The large one works fine.

• Moderators

You say you are missing the icon that appears in your taskbar when you click on 'my computer' on your desktop.

Just checking that it normally appears near the start button and not near your clock?

Have you tried right-clicking on your desktop, selecting personalize, selecting change desktop icons,and then unticking and reticking the my computer icon?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Try right-clicking the desktop then personalize>display properties. (I am guessing you are using Vista)

Under colours choose a different setting (if yours is medium choose highest, if it is highest choose medium.)

Confirm this by clicking yes.

Now change it back and confirm again.

Sometimes this gets things going again with icons.

If it does not work first time, try rebooting after the first change.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Changing themes has no help.

Changing color modes w/o reboot has no help, didn't try w/ reboot.

EDIT: I have discovered the following:

The computer icon does show up under the built-in Administrator account.

However: It's missing a different icon: the one that shows up next to 'open' in the teal-green bar under the address bar in Explorer when a file of unknown association is discovered. The icon does show up on this account.