MagicJack anyone?

LuLu

So we broke down and bought a MagicJack the other day to try to save some money since things are tight. Ever since, I've been doing nothing but reading online about complaints and bad customer service and yadda yadda yadda (what do you want for 20 dollar/year service??). But on the same token, I've seen tons of great reviews for it. So far it seems to be alright, at least for us. Plus,I can finally use my nifty fax machine that I got for Christmas. lol

But what I'm wondering is this. People have claimed they got tons of spyware/adware/malware from it, though never providing what viruses, etc. they actually found on their PCs. So far my scans turn up nothing but my usual tracking cookies from various websites. So I think I'm alright. But, when you want to dial-out, you have to set MagicJack as a server otherwise your call won't complete. How safe can that really be? I mean, I do have a firewall and virus scans and whatnot, but the idea of making it a server keeps me a little uneasy. Could someone still, theoretically, tap in and get my bank info, credit info, etc?

Any takers on this? Anyone else ever use one and have problems or anything? Just curious...

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

I'm no expert but have used many firewalls and setting things to server can leave you open. Just ask on any firewall forum about setting things to Server, or wait for a malware removal expert to chime in to see what they think.

That was my mode of thinking. So I told mom to let people call her, just to be on the safe side. lol

Well it looks like I don't have to set it at a server afterall. Someone else who has one told me to just block the server status 100% (since theres like 5 or 6 MagicJack entries in my firewall program) and it should be ok. And low and behold, it is. Well, so far anyway. lol That makes me feel a little better now.

• 1 month later...

MagicJack runs well on my Vista machine with a virus reported by Comodo Internet Security Suite. Choosing finally to ignore the red flag it runs great. Originally there was NO tech support so, we got together on the founders website and turned his comments board into our tech center. LOL! Much has improved; however, Neither Spybot/TeaTimer or CCleaner recognizes MJ as a web browser; it is one. AVG Free 8.5 does not flag MJ. More free information can be found at XXXX my local website. I never even saw a server option so I can't comment on that except to say I'm glad someone chimed in before I did. Servers belong behind high-power firewalls monitored by Tech support (a Geek). I have removed countless Trojans and whatnot from PCs unguarded and opened up wide to the Web. :( Enjoy MJ; it works well for me. :rolleyes:

So we broke down and bought a MagicJack the other day to try to save some money since things are tight. Ever since, I've been doing nothing but reading online about complaints and bad customer service and yadda yadda yadda (what do you want for 20 dollar/year service??). But on the same token, I've seen tons of great reviews for it. So far it seems to be alright, at least for us. Plus,I can finally use my nifty fax machine that I got for Christmas. lol

But what I'm wondering is this. People have claimed they got tons of spyware/adware/malware from it, though never providing what viruses, etc. they actually found on their PCs. So far my scans turn up nothing but my usual tracking cookies from various websites. So I think I'm alright. But, when you want to dial-out, you have to set MagicJack as a server otherwise your call won't complete. How safe can that really be? I mean, I do have a firewall and virus scans and whatnot, but the idea of making it a server keeps me a little uneasy. Could someone still, theoretically, tap in and get my bank info, credit info, etc?

Any takers on this? Anyone else ever use one and have problems or anything? Just curious...

Hmmm, VOIP service. Makes sense when I think of the Acronym. Its not the way I generally think of Voice Over Internet Protocol. Thank you. Still, I would like to protect it from abusive hackers. Any suggestions? Comodo will eventually review the files I sent. Meanwhile, its nice to chat a bit with people who know enough to call me on my mistakes. We all make them from time to time. VOIP it is then. Keith

I do not agree that Magic jack is a web browser.

It is a VOIP service.

I have been using MJ for a year and have had no problems with viruses, malware, or any other intrusions. Works great. I would like to know what fax machine you are using? I use ColorFax Lite to fax directly from my PC and it works great. I could not get my Lexmark to work with it. Through further research on the subject of faxing with MJ I found that it was rather hit and miss as far as what will work, you just have to try it. So I was not about to buy any new fax machines that is when I decided to go the fax software route. I found the free version of ColorFax Lite developed by BlackIce, tried it and find that it works great with the convenience to fax from Office, Adobe, etc.