Cleaning Using Advanced Section

brbrown

I have used CCleaner for some time now without problems but I have always been afraid to use the Advanced section on the Windows tab beginning with Old Prefetch Data, Menu Order Cache, Tray Notification Cache etc. I am sure these items must be taking up a lot of space. Could anyone please tell me if it would be safe to tick them for cleaning or will it create me any problems later?

• Moderators

Here is some info on what those areas do

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...d-windows-files

I personally just use the custom files and folders one, but other users tick some of the other choices.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello Hazelnut. Many thanks for your reply and sorry about the delay in coming back to you. I've been away for a while although I didn't receive email notification any way even though I ticked the option. That was good information. I obviously did not search very well the first time. If I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem to tick all boxes then should it? I don't want to tick all boxes then find later that I need what was cleaned. Brian.

You should untick Wipe Free Space, because it's useless (unless you have reaaaaaaaaally important data erased on your drive) and it takes a lot of time. ;)

Piriform French translator

• Moderators
Hello Hazelnut. Many thanks for your reply and sorry about the delay in coming back to you. I've been away for a while although I didn't receive email notification any way even though I ticked the option. That was good information. I obviously did not search very well the first time. If I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem to tick all boxes then should it? I don't want to tick all boxes then find later that I need what was cleaned. Brian.

Hi Brian.

The Advanced Section boxes aren't as straightforward as the other check boxes in CCleaner. I believe Hazel was directing you to descriptions of those features, not saying it was fine to check them all. In fact take note that she only checks one of those boxes, and for what it's worth, I only check two of them.

You really shouldn't start checking them unless you fully understand exactly what it is they are doing, and do you actually need CCleaner to do that.

For example, if you select to delete "hotfix uninstallers", then you won't be able to uninstall any Microsoft Updates that turn out to cause a problem.

Only remove those after you've have an update installed for a time to make sure it isn't gonna cause a problem, and it does happen sometimes. Personally, I don't touch them.

If you don't know exactly what an advanced feature does, I would suggest leave it well alone.

Hello Aethec and Dennis. Thank you both for your replies. Since leaving my last message and pondering over Hazelnut's information, I have come to the same conclusions as you both. I will stick with Custom Files and Folders only. However, would the ISS Log Files take up a lot of space over time and do they need to stay?

• Moderators

You can always see what each option would delete, given the chance, by right clicking on the option and chosing Analyse. My ISS file content is zero, and I only tick User Assist Hist and Custom Files in Advanced.

What exactly does "Hotfix Uninstaller" delete?

I am having a problem installing / uninstalling AfterEffects -

The install went bad and now I cannot uninstall -

I have cleaned with the usual settings including Registry - but still cannot uninstall (or reinstall) properly.

* should I use Hotfix uninstall?

Welcome to the forum videotrax.

No, you shouldn't use Hotfix Uninstaller.

Hotfix Uninstallers - (XP only) Every time you download and run a Hotfix from Microsoft, Windows stores an uninstallation program for that Hotfix on your system.

You can find some good info on CCleaner at the Docs site. (See the link below)

If you have an icon in add and remove programs, you could try Revo Uninstaller to uninstall After Effects.

You might want to join the Adobe After Effects forum for help if that doesn't work.

QUOTE: "Revo Uninstaller[/url] to uninstall After Effects."

Revo worked like a charm. Thank you very much. Your are a genius!

I had spent many hours uninstalling / reinstalling / cleaning, (rinse / repeat) (actually 2 weeks worth)

Adobe Support is a JOKE. Hours on hold, and then the read / tell you to read knowledge base reports - all BULL!!!

Time consuming, frustrating BULL!

Thanks again.

dp

Videotrax

Welcome to the forum videotrax.

No, you shouldn't use Hotfix Uninstaller.

You can find some good info on CCleaner at the Docs site. (See the link below)

If you have an icon in add and remove programs, you could try Revo Uninstaller to uninstall After Effects.

You might want to join the Adobe After Effects forum for help if that doesn't work.