Gmail spam?

rridgely

• Moderators

Remember the good ol days when GMAIL required you to get an invite from someone who already had an account?

Well, back then I had registered 6 accounts which I used to send out invites and just because they were names I wanted. Some of these accounts I hadn't logged onto in years, well yesterday I decided to try and log into all of them just to see if I got to keep the names(since sometimes you lose an account if its not active). To my surprise I still had all the accounts but I was shocked at the amount of spam in there. I had hundreds of spam emails(some had up to 400 or more) in all of these accounts, I had never even sent an email from a single one these names before. So I cleared them out and decided to check them today, one of them had 17 spam emails in it.

I have a yahoo account that I have had for 7-8 years and I haven't gotten that much spam in it the entire time I've used it. (I would say I get about 4 a month and they are in the spam folder). My main account now is a live.com(msn, I use it for the Windows Live Mail integration) and I have never gotten a single spam email from it.

Maybe the people who I gave invites too signed me up for some crazy spam or something, but it just seems really excessive.

My question to all the gmail users, are you getting a ton of spam in your mail box?

Yeah i get a ton of spam in my various gmail accounts too. But I get almost none in my hotmail, live, or yahoo accounts. Don't know why it is, but the spam IS sent to the spam folder so i don't really care......

• Moderators

In gmail, very little at all. An ocassional one.

Yahoo used to be pasted with them, but they took some measures a short while back, and now I only get an ocassional one in Yahoo.

Note, Yahoo is the .co.uk version.

• Moderators

I'm leary of most free email services and that isn't from paranoia it's from prior experiences as I've had many over the years that will spam you blind on day one of having the account -- even if you've never sent one email from the account or given the email address to anyone. To me that says the email service company is the culprit.

I've used Opera Mail for several years now and I rarely get any spam in part do to using some clever filters, just filtering your own name and the word "free" can avoid a horde of spam. Also websites that need an email address for you to use their software, blah, just because sites claim "they'll never give your email address away, or sell it" doesn't mean crap.

I'm leary of most free email services and that isn't from paranoia it's from prior experiences as I've had many over the years that will spam you blind on day one of having the account -- even if you've never sent one email from the account or given the email address to anyone. To me that says the email service company is the culprit.

I've used Opera Mail for several years now and I rarely get any spam in part do to using some clever filters, just filtering your own name and the word "free" can avoid a horde of spam. Also websites that need an email address for you to use their software, blah, just because sites claim "they'll never give your email address away, or sell it" doesn't mean crap.

I just looked at Opera Mail and it said that it only gives for new users 3 megs of storage space. How can you live with so little storage space? In my Gmail inbox right now I'm using about 70 megs. :lol:

Interesting thing that happened to me awhile back with gmail. I installed outlook after a reinstall of windows. Anyhoo, when importing my gmail emails, contacts, etc....it started to import emails that were no longer in my email box...these were emails that were deleted at least a year or two prior, with all spam, trash, etc. boxes cleared many many times, ccleaner ran, etc............and a reinstall of windows remember so definately wasn't sitting somewhere on my computer....anyways....weird thing, i don't know if i trust any of the emails......but i will say that i like gmail overall.....:)

:D i just realised few day ago that yahoo mail can block up to 500 email address/main domain(mail>mail option>spam>Blocked Email Addresses)...

http://help.yahoo.com/l/sg/yahoo/mail/yaho...context-05.html

summary:

Blocked addresses

Don?t want to get mail from a certain address or domain? OK. Block it ? block up to 500! Incoming mail from blocked addresses and domains is automatically deleted and doesn?t bounce back to the sender. And if you change your mind, remove a blocked address or domain to re-open your Inbox.

Add a block, remove a block

Set up a block by clicking in the box next to "Add a blocked address:" and typing the address. When you?re done, click Add. That?s it. Remove a block by clicking on any address you?d like to remove from the list, then clicking Remove. (You won?t see Remove until you?ve added at least one blocked address.)

Block an entire domain

You can also block an entire domain by typing it in the same spot. Don?t want email from "spammer.com"? Type spammer.com into the box, and any email address from ?@spammer.com? will be blocked. See ya!

:P it also have disposable address/addressguard(mail>mail option>spam>Disposable Addresses)...

http://help.yahoo.com/l/sg/yahoo/mail/yaho...ssguard-01.html

summary:

What is Yahoo! AddressGuard?

Are you ever in the middle of buying something online, or signing up for something, when you get asked for your email address and you don't want to give it out, because you don't want spam? Us, too! So we created Yahoo! AddressGuard. Now you can protect yourself but not completely cut yourself off.

Yahoo! AddressGuard is part of Yahoo! Mail. It lets you create disposable email addresses to use whenever you don't want to give out your real Yahoo! Mail address, but when you do think you'll probably want to receive what this source sends you?a receipt, or an invoice, or some other valid communication.

Yahoo! AddressGuard directs messages sent to these addresses into your Inbox so you can see them. You can also decide to direct them into one of your other folders if you want.

You can create many alternate addresses and access them all from your Yahoo! Mail account. If any of your disposable addresses starts getting spam, just delete that address. Boom. Bye bye spam.