Strange messages from OpenDNS

DennisD

• Moderators

This was a strange one yesterday from OpenDNS:

t819_20090326221615.jpg

When I reconfigured my Internet settings, I got straight on, and I haven't tried OpenDNS again since then. It wasn't just Piriform. I got the same message for Google Mail. Strange. I'll try it again later.

Off topic but man your Opera looks so much different from mine. I don't think I've taken enough time to explore all the features of Opera. Like the icons in the top right of your browser window... Are you using a different skin as well?

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

No worries Keith. Opera has some really nice skins, and is a joy to use once you have it configured.

These are the skins I have on board, and they're all nice.

t820_20090327171619.jpg

Have a browse through them here:

The bookmark icons are done by right clicking the toolbar and selecting "customize", and then drag any open tab to where you want it's bookmark. That's very brief, so if you need some more detail just pm me.

Thanks Dennis :) Hazel also offered me some advice via PM.

On topic, does OpenDNS work pretty well for you? Is it noticably faster than your ISP's DNS servers?

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

Off topic again. :lol:

For you guys and gals customizing Opera I do hope you're backing up your configuration settings or at least taking a screenshot because as a former Opera user I know losing the settings is a real pain.

• Moderators
Thanks Dennis :) Hazel also offered me some advice via PM.

On topic, does OpenDNS work pretty well for you? Is it noticably faster than your ISP's DNS servers?

Speed wise, it's never made enough difference for me to notice that much, but speed is determined by so many variables that's probably just me. However, as pointed out by Rorschach112, it's more secure.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20214

Under "Extras".

• Moderators

I've just now started using OpenDNS, and I don't notice any speed differences at all. All the hiccups I have on pages are due to something in Firefox which has been an issue since version 2.

I even grabbed the OpenDNS Updater app, that will automatically check for updates for dynamic IP addresses, requires registration though to get it.

I just received my new replacement router and finally got my 2 router bridge setup working again. I may give OpenDNS a try.

link1.gif

I just received my new replacement router and finally got my 2 router bridge setup working again. I may give OpenDNS a try.

What is a 2 router bridge setup?

If it is what I think it is then this is something I need to be doing in work.

What is a 2 router bridge setup?

If it is what I think it is then this is something I need to be doing in work.

I use 1 router as my main access point, the other as a "client" to bridge the connection wirelessly so my girlfriend's sons can play the XBOX online from upstairs... All they have to do is plug in an ethernet cable into the 2nd router.

link1.gif

I've just now started using OpenDNS, and I don't notice any speed differences at all. All the hiccups I have on pages are due to something in Firefox which has been an issue since version 2.

I even grabbed the OpenDNS Updater app, that will automatically check for updates for dynamic IP addresses, requires registration though to get it.

I'm thinking about trying OpenDNS myself, Andavari. Where did you find the Updater?

By the way, I was having the same problem with FF 3 (very annoying), so I actually went back to the latest version of FF2 -- much better!

• Moderators
Where did you find the Updater?

It's only offered after you register an account on OpenDNS. ;)

The updater keeps dynamic ("changing") IP addresses up-to-date with your OpenDNS account. So when your IP address changes you won't lose any connectivity to OpenDNS as your DNS Server. All you need to do is install it when given the chance to download it, punch in your OpenDNS user name and password and it's a set it and forget it program. The only thing it creates on the hard disk is a programs files folder, and an application data folder for the settings, other than that it hardly installs anything however it needs about 9MB-10MB to be running all the time, it needs to run all the time to keep your IP address in sync.

It's only offered after you register an account on OpenDNS. ;)

The updater keeps dynamic ("changing") IP addresses up-to-date with your OpenDNS account. So when your IP address changes you won't lose any connectivity to OpenDNS as your DNS Server. All you need to do is install it when given the chance to download it, punch in your OpenDNS user name and password and it's a set it and forget it program. The only thing it creates on the hard disk is a programs files folder, and an application data folder for the settings, other than that it hardly installs anything however it needs about 9MB-10MB to be running all the time, it needs to run all the time to keep your IP address in sync.

Thanks for the info, Andavari. I hate to show my ingnorance, but you and DennisD have chosen to use OpenDNS. Why? What DNS server were you using prior to that change -- who provides it -- is it your ISP?

Obviously, we're all using something, I'm just trying to figure out who normally provides that and why you decided to change?

Thanks for the info, Andavari. I hate to show my ingnorance, but you and DennisD have chosen to use OpenDNS. Why? What DNS server were you using prior to that change -- who provides it -- is it your ISP?

Obviously, we're all using something, I'm just trying to figure out who normally provides that and why you decided to change?

Yes if I understand correctly, by default, you are using your ISP's DNS servers. OpenDNS claims to be faster and more secure.

OpenDNS Overview

link1.gif

Yes if I understand correctly, by default, you are using your ISP's DNS servers. OpenDNS claims to be faster and more secure.

OpenDNS Overview

I've never seen a difference, as I've switched back and forth. Is there any sort of viable proof that it actually is faster and/or more secure?

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

• Moderators
What DNS server were you using prior to that change -- who provides it -- is it your ISP?

My ISP provided the original DNS server(s) I used, never really had an issue with them however having OpenDNS and my ISP's DNS servers easily switchable will be a nice treat in case one is ever having technical issues.

The only reason I switched to OpenDNS is to have more control over content though its configuration settings. Also noteworthy is "supposedly anyone using OpenDNS is protected against Conflicker."

having OpenDNS and my ISP's DNS servers easily switchable will be a nice treat in case one is ever having technical issues.

Just what do you mean by "easily switchable?" Do you mean re-configuring your network connection settings -- or have you figured a way to able to toggle back and forth between them?

I just switched to OpenDNS a few days ago for the same reason you mentioned. However, it also seems to have provided a little more stability -- and maybe even smoothed out a few little things that I've been blaming on FireFox. However, as I said, it's only been a few days, so I need to give it some more time before jumping to any sweeping conclusions.

Speed wise, it's never made enough difference for me to notice that much, but speed is determined by so many variables that's probably just me. However, as pointed out by Rorschach112, it's more secure.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20214

Under "Extras".

Just what do you mean by "easily switchable?" Do you mean re-configuring your network connection settings -- or have you figured a way to able to toggle back and forth between them?

I just switched to OpenDNS a few days ago for the same reason you mentioned. However, it also seems to have provided a little more stability -- and maybe even smoothed out a few little things that I've been blaming on FireFox. However, as I said, it's only been a few days, so I need to give it some more time before jumping to any sweeping conclusions.

All you have to do to use opendns is change your dns servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

OpenDNS is actually more safer because i went to known phishing sites on a test computer and it blocked them

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff

• Moderators

What I meant was I could use OpenDNS, or just remove the OpenDNS DNS servers from the configuration to use my IPS provided DNS. Of course if the OpenDNS configuration is removed it must be manually re-inputted, which really only takes about a minute or less.