QUESTION ABOUT USB DRIVE

questionnow

The files in one folder of my USB flash drive are gone although the folder is still there. I didn't delete the files. How could these files disappear? Earlier in the day, the tech guy was showing me something else on the drive and afterward he pulled the drive out without ejecting. And then I worked on a file in the folder at a different computer. I am pretty sure I ejected the drive before pulling it off after working on one of the files in that folder and saving the file. But the next day, all the files in that one folder were gone from the drive. How could this have happened?

The files in one folder of my USB flash drive are gone although the folder is still there. I didn't delete the files. How could these files disappear? Earlier in the day, the tech guy was showing me something else on the drive and afterward he pulled the drive out without ejecting. And then I worked on a file in the folder at a different computer. I am pretty sure I ejected the drive before pulling it off after working on one of the files in that folder and saving the file. But the next day, all the files in that one folder were gone from the drive. How could this have happened?

Maybe that file corrupted / broken ;)

• Moderators
he pulled the drive out without ejecting

That is the sole cause I've experienced with corrupt files on my one of my USB Thumb Drives! When removed properly using Windows built-in Safely Remove Hardware I don't have that issue at all.

That is the sole cause I've experienced with corrupt files on my one of my USB Thumb Drives! When removed properly using Windows built-in Safely Remove Hardware I don't have that issue at all.

The thing is, the other person did that, then he worked on the files. Do you think that questionnow didn't do that and that deleted the files?

It does seem the most likely cause. If you (questionnow) were in a rush and you didn't eject it, it could happen. But I thought it would only affect the file you were working on, not everything else in the folder.

AJ

Messing with solid state things with power on is fraught with danger to the device and its contents in my experience.

I have always made sure that whatever I have that is accessing the device like Explorer or Media Player is closed first then select Safely Remove Hardware and wait for the message that it is OK to remove the device then remove it.

If you do not obey this rule then it is just like if you are speeding or driving reckless in a car then either you will be in an accident or a Police cruiser will appear and present you with a heavy fine and maybe some jail time. :o

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
The thing is, the other person did that, then he worked on the files. Do you think that questionnow didn't do that and that deleted the files?

In my prior situations it hasn't deleted any files and instead just causes some random corruption of some of the files, even those I haven't even accessed. The only way to find the corruption is to run chkdsk on the USB Thumb Drive. I don't even bother letting chkdsk fix the errors anymore as it will commonly fill up the drive with garbage files I can't use anyway so I now just format the USB Thumb Drive and then copy what I have from the hard disk back onto the USB Thumb Drive.

I've had the corruption problem happen on three separate occasions even though my system is configured to "allow for removing the USB Thumb Drive without using Safely Remove Hardware," however I've found out Safely Remove Hardware is actually needed and is the only way to not end up with random corrupt files.

In my prior situations it hasn't deleted any files and instead just causes some random corruption of some of the files, even those I haven't even accessed. The only way to find the corruption is to run chkdsk on the USB Thumb Drive. I don't even bother letting chkdsk fix the errors anymore as it will commonly fill up the drive with garbage files I can't use anyway so I now just format the USB Thumb Drive and then copy what I have from the hard disk back onto the USB Thumb Drive.

I've had the corruption problem happen on three separate occasions even though my system is configured to "allow for removing the USB Thumb Drive without using Safely Remove Hardware," however I've found out Safely Remove Hardware is actually needed and is the only way to not end up with random corrupt files.

Hi Andavari,

thanks for the response. you are right. i worked on the file but i don't think i forgot to eject the drive i always eject. in any case, even if i forgot to eject the drive, how come all the files in that folder alone were gone?!! They weren't corrupted or anything -- they were just gone! Every other folder and file is fine.

• Moderators
how come all the files in that folder alone were gone?!! They weren't corrupted or anything -- they were just gone! Every other folder and file is fine.

I don't have an answer for that, simply because I don't know. With my USB Thumb Drive's I always have a copy on the hard disk because I know corruption can happen unexpectedly.

I did found out that corruption can happen on USB Thumb Drives that are plugged into a Sony PlayStation 3 when turning off the PlayStation 3 without first removing the USB Thumb Drive when it's powered on. The things we learn, and have to avoid, so it isn't just a Windows related issue.

Those random corruptions have now changed my mind completely on getting a very large capacity USB hard disk, so that wish and idea are no longer valid anymore.

I had a similar experience - is the flash drive a recognised and decent make? I (foolishly now I realise) bought a couple of 'cheapies' off eBay from a Chinese seller.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with these, I would copy the (mp3) files to the drives and - one minute they were there, the next minute they weren't!!

I had a similar experience - is the flash drive a recognised and decent make? I (foolishly now I realise) bought a couple of 'cheapies' off eBay from a Chinese seller.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with these, I would copy the (mp3) files to the drives and - one minute they were there, the next minute they weren't!!

eBay should have Caveat emptor on its main page :lol:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The quality of the thumb drive can be a factor.

Never have a prob with my 2 and 4 gig Sandisc Cruzers.

Neighbour a while back asked if I wanted a 16 gig for 18 bucks off ebay which I grabbed.

What a waste of dough as it randomly corrupts. :angry: