Weird Problem-Need some suggestions.

Hey all, weird thing happening with a friend of mine's computer (different computer then the last one i was cleaning up).

She had been having issues with her internet not working, and she had never updated it or anything, so I ran a lot of scans (all clean), updated all the programs (java, windows updates, firefox, etc.) installed some firefox addons (adblock, customize google, etc.), ie7pro, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy, spyware blaster, ran a defrag, ran ngtropt, and ccleaner. Everything came up clean, runs fast, no problems.

Heres the problem. We now can't access the internet through firefox or IE. Weird thing though: she can still access her email (outlook), use windows live messenger, and any internet related programs-outside of browsers. Not sure why, or what could have happened. I didn't do anything different then I do to my own computers, and everyone else's that I help clean up. Like I said, the computer comes up clean for virii, spyware, etc. and she didn't have any programs, etc. that gave me pause. No cracks, hacks, pr0n, etc.....

The only thing I did otherwise, is uninstall Norton Security which she had installed. I uninstalled it without issue (at least i believe so), deleted all references that I could find, and ran ccleaner.

Anybody ever come across something like this? I've never encountered it, and after a bit of a google search am a bit stumped.

Oh, and she hooks up to the internet wirelessly if that makes a difference, but she was doing that before as well. The computer is an HP, and is only about 8 months old.......

Thanks!

• Moderators

It doesn't really make any sense as to why outlook/ or messenger would be able to get on the net but a browser couldn't unless there is either a firewall/security program stopping it or a virus.

One thing to try is run a scan with hijackthis and look to see if there are any lines with 010 in the front of them.

Let me know if there are.(just copy a log if there are).

Did the problem start at any noticeable point? Like you installed/uninstalled something and all of a sudden it didnt work anymore?

Hey rridgely,

No nothing specific. The problem started after I restarted the computer after doing the above scans and installing the above items. Like I mentioned, nothing different then I have done with a dozen other computers without incident. I originally thought that the problem was just at my place as I have my house wired with a static ip and you have to set the DNS and such specifically to access my system (wireless is turned off). I had tried her computer on both wired and wireless and it didn't work here. So i figured maybe it was just my configuration. But then she told me when she got it home that she could access everything but the internet through the browsers...really weird, and I have never heard of that before. It was weird too, because when i had it wired up at my house it kept showing that the internet was working, but....it wouldn't work! arhghghhghghgh

Oh, and i tried accessing the internet with the firewall off (she only uses the built in vista one) and no antivirus on (and norton was removed). Like i said, i did run all the regular scans which came up negative, though there could be more underneath the surface that maybe i am not aware of...

I'll get her to run a hijackthislog and to email it to me and I will post it up ASAP. Thanks rridgely.

k, i told her to download, install and run that just in case. i was looking at the log that i posted in Spyware Hell and she has eset nod32 too........im wondering if she had both installed causing a conflict or if one was maybe disabled? I dunno....anyways i posted the log so maybe we can rule out spyware/virus, etc.....

• Moderators

Did you install a host file?

If so try getting rid of it.

Have them delete this in hijackthis.

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

If they are computer illiterate then have them download this:

http://www.funkytoad.com/index.php?option=...18b30a9558df11f

Just open the program and press the button that says restore ms host file.

Then reboot and see if browsers work.

• Moderators

I have a vague memory of reading about something like this and it had to do with miniports.

Does anything show is device manager, view, show hidden devices, then look in device drivers?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Did you install a host file?

If so try getting rid of it.

Have them delete this in hijackthis.

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

If they are computer illiterate then have them download this:

http://www.funkytoad.com/index.php?option=...18b30a9558df11f

Just open the program and press the button that says restore ms host file.

Then reboot and see if browsers work.

You know I didn't install any hosts, but i posted a log in the Spyware hell section and noticed that entry...as soon as she gets online I will get her to do that and report back..........and apparently the log came up clean so maybe your suggestion will work. Weve been trying a number of things that are suggested on the net without relief........Thanks dude!

I have a vague memory of reading about something like this and it had to do with miniports.

Does anything show is device manager, view, show hidden devices, then look in device drivers?

I'll get her to check that one too. I kept thinking it was driver related personally, but then its weird that shes getting net access just not browser access.....The other thing that I noticed is that her wireless card gets GREAT reception.....she can see about another half dozen of my neighbours computer networks with her computer that mine doesnt see, so the card seems to be working well...........and everything else is fast as lightning and working excellent, just this one nagging problem...............thanks hazel!

Also look in the browser(s) settings for any proxy server that may be invalid - like using Avast's web shield then uninstalling Avast without undoing that manually created proxy setting.

How do i do that specifically Andavari? I don't use proxy servers and i really don't think she has either. Plus i set IE7 back to all defaults thinking maybe a tweak or something affected things, but it didnt make a difference.....one more thing to take a look at though.....THanks!