Venus and Jupiter In Evening Show

Humpty

Should be worth a look. :)

Two bright planets are closing in for a spectacular conjunction with the Moon in the evening sky. Venus, which is steadily moving away from the Sun, meets Jupiter as it prepares to leave the night-time stage.

Both are brilliant objects, with Venus at magnitude -4 and Jupiter at magnitude -1.9, and visible soon after sunset in the south-west. If the sky is clear where you are, you can't miss them even if you are surrounded by streetlights.

You will also notice if you watch from one night to the next how rapidly the two worlds are moving towards each other. They will be at their closest on 29 November when they are less than three degrees apart.

Two nights later, the crescent Moon arrives on the scene to complete a stunning sight above the south-western horizon. And from much of Europe, there will be an added spectacle as Venus is covered, or occulted, by the Moon.

Skymania Article

Luckily my apartment faces west and on clear day I can see the CN Tower in Toronto and Lake Ontario to the south so I hope that the weather co-operates and provides a bit of clear sky but we have been having mostly days and nights with cloudy skies with rain or snow.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Seems you are right JD. :)

Look to the southwest after sunset on Dec. 1 for a close conjunction between three bright solar system objects: the moon, Venus and Jupiter. If you have binoculars, you might even be able to fit all three of them in the field of view. Between now and then, you can see Jupiter and Venus getting closer together each evening.

Every once in a while, something will appear in the night sky that will attract the attention of even those who normally don't bother looking up. It's likely to be that way on Monday evening, Dec. 1.

A slender crescent moon, just 15 percent illuminated, will appear in very close proximity to the two brightest planets in our sky, Venus and Jupiter.

Grr!

Its still cloudy with a forecast of rain and wet snow.

I know because IE7Pro's Accu Weather Plugin lets me know.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Grr!

Its still cloudy with a forecast of rain and wet snow.

I know because IE7Pro's Accu Weather Plugin lets me know.

Plus my arthritis in my back and hips let me know that it is time to see my Chiropractor for my weekly Snap, Crackle and Pop session.

Edit: Fixed link

Edited by YoKenny

IE7Pro user

A smiley view with a beautiful sunset:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/081...-mikesalway.jpg

IE7Pro user