Memory Booster Programs

writeaway

PC is taking a long time to load programs. I run several good-sized applications at once and, occasionally, one crashes. While monitoring memory usage, I see it runs quite high, using up very nearly all the ram. Yeah, know, get more. I've been checking out shareware (again) looking at MemWatcher and Memory Boost. They both claim to free up memory when you need it.

Whadd'ya think? Anybody ever use either of these programs? Think they are useless? Know of free alternatives? I anxiously await your priceless advice.

Thanks.

• Moderators

The only thing I use is Cleanmem.

EDIT: Use the link from TeeJays post:

I don't have it set to any schedule. I simply run it from a Quick Launch shortcut if anything is hanging onto memory, and things like Windows Explorer tend to do that. After running a few programs, have a look at Task Manager before and after you run this.

From the explanation you give, you maybe have a memory leak there somewhere. If I were you, I'd use the task manager to keep an eye on any software you have running to see if any of them are slowly eating up more and more of your memory needlessly.

I suggest not to use any memory boosters. In the end they seem to do more harm then good. Just defrag your harddrive and delete some stuff from your PC (check control panel, you'll be amazed at the junk you find). Also run a spyware scan on your PC with spybot and ad-aware.

Download: (Freeware-Softpedia)

I don't have it set to any schedule. I simply run it from a Quick Launch shortcut if anything is hanging onto memory, and things like Windows Explorer tend to do that. After running a few programs, have a look at Task Manager before and after you run this.

That's exactly what I do as well.

I try to stay way from sites like Softpedia. Here is the developer's site: http://www.pcwintech.com/node/145.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I didn't know you used this, Dennis. I've been using it ever since I became aware of it several months ago. I have mine set to run about every 30 minutes or so -- and it's been great! Really seems to keep memory freed up -- and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Sure wish there were something similar for "my own" memory :D

I didn't know you used this, Dennis. I've been using it ever since I became aware of it several months ago. I have mine set to run about every 30 minutes or so -- and it's been great! Really seems to keep memory freed up -- and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Sure wish there were something similar for "my own" memory :D

That is how I've scheduled it also. Shane is a great guy and will help with anything. The belief that "all" mem optimizers just move "bites" to the page file is not necessarily true. A case in point is if you run the program RAM Def XT you'll discover that if even lowers or releases virtual memory. Another program that works is MemInfo, which I keep in the notification bar to observe mem usage, however, it has a defrager also that does not move anything to the page file, although I never use any of these programs since the release of CleanMem!

• Moderators

Crashing programs that normally shouldn't crash can sometimes be fixed using these two methods (no guarantee it will work for you though):

• Have the paging file wiped on shutdown/restart - there's many freeware that can do that like the free edition of TweakNow WinSecret Professional, etc., or via registry files.
  • Delete the prefetch .PF file for a program that constantly crashes, it's located in the Wiindows\Prefetch folder.
  • Make a new user profile! Many times something in the user profile registry or perhaps some other settings can make a system very crash prone. This I know first hand works, and has once saved me from formatting and reinstalling everything.

Hi. I'm back all these days later because I have been waiting for an email telling me there had been a reply. Guess I didn't get myself signed up to be notified. Thanks for all the helpful input. I have downloaded Cleanmem as some of you suggested and I downloaded TweakNow as Andavari suggested and I will be searching out the .PF file for my little crashers.

Really appreciate the help.