New Firefox beta even faster than FF3

Humpty

Mozilla fans can now play with the anticipated speedier JavaScript engine in the first beta for Firefox 3.1, as well as explore improvements to the Smart Location Bar and a slick interface for hotkey tab switching. Now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users, the new JavaScript engine, called TraceMonkey, is not turned on by default.

Don't take my word for it, though. Using the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark test, Firefox 3.1 beta 1 completed the test in 2787.6 milliseconds--about twice as fast as the current stable release, Firefox 3.0.3, which clocked in at 5446.6 ms.

CNet Article

I talked with a few friend who used it, and they were quite surprised, although, a touch sad because some extensions wouldn't work with it, but, one should expect this with a beta. However, they also didn't notice that tracemonkey wasn't activated upon installation. Can someone say 'oops' to their surprise? :lol:

Although TraceMonkey is finally included in beta 1, the new engine isn't actually enabled by default. It is still under heavy development and it reportedly exhibits some bugs that could impact JavaScript reliability. To configure TraceMonkey in beta 1, browse to "about:config" and then toggle the "javascript.options.jit.content" variable.

From Ars Technica.

[edit]

-blush-

Just noticed that this is also reported in the OP article posted as well. Can someone say 'oops' to my lack of attention? :lol:

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

I've been using Firefox 3.1b2pre for some weeks now. I did some benchmarks on FF3.0 vs FF3.1 with jit and I pretty much found slight difference in terms of performance. I ran into problems in the V8 Benchmark Suite in FF3.1+jit. The print dialog keeps popping up, thus lowering the score in the benchmark. The add-ons were no problem as long as the extension compatibility is disabled. I might run a test again when FF3.1 20081015 is released and post some screenshots...

============================

Benchmark as of October 15, 2008

Using SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark

System:

Windows XP SP3

Intel Pentium 4 2994MHz Cedar Mill HT

2x512MB DDR-400 RAM

Firefox 3.1 build 20081015 with jit enabled (Portable)

Results

Opera 9.60 build 10447 (Portable)

Results

I'm not touching it.
I'll give you the 10ft pole.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'll give you the 10ft pole.

Every body knows Internet Explorer is the best browser ever made and Microsoft makes the best software ever. We also know the horse and carriage is better than a Porsche and George W Bush is really a great president and one of the smartest humans ever to live.

Every body knows Internet Explorer is the best browser ever made and Microsoft makes the best software ever. We also know the horse and carriage is better than a Porsche and George W Bush is really a great president and one of the smartest humans ever to live.

Whattaworld!

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

Whattaworld!

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was on my cable TV Free Classic Movie promotion last weekend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Its_a_mad_mad_mad_world

Just about all of the stars in that movie have passed on and Jimmy Durante shares the same Birthday as me.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Javascript speeds

NOTE: Tests may vary from computer to computer.

Firefox 3 :

1st : 293

2nd : 297

3rd : 293

4th : 294

5th : 305

Average : 296.4ms

Firefox 3.1 (with Tracemonkey activated)

1st : 72

2nd : 71

3rd : 68

4th : 68

5th : 69

Average : 69.6ms

Internet Explorer 7 : (never tried IE8, though. Not even sure if it's usable in Vista. I know it wasn't some time ago.)

1st : 1224

2nd : 937

3rd : 938

4th : 939

5th : 928

Average : 993.2ms

Chrome : (never tried Chromium, and this test was taken in late September).

1st : 53

2nd : 57

3rd : 58

4th : 59

5th : 56

Average : 56.6ms

Opera 9.52 : (from what I've tested, Opera 9.6 isn't much different in the Javascript category).

1st : 302

2nd : 317

3rd : 317

4th : 333

5th : 309

Average : 315.6ms

----------------------------------------------------------------

1st - Chrome

2nd - Firefox 3.1

3rd - Firefox 3.0.3

4th - Opera 9.52

5th - IE7

Anyone able to test IE8?

Tests were given at : http://wd-testnet.world-direct.at/mozilla/.../jsTimeTest.htm

On my old 500MHZ PIII system running XP Pro SP3 IE8 beta2

t2100_test.png

Its no speed demon but at its cost to me it is a good test bed.

IE7Pro user

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse