Adding Firefox cleaning rules

panoramacat

Cleaning additional files in Firefox profiles is only possible by entering the exact file names and paths in the custom file/directory cleaning section of CCleaner as the actual paths require some magic. The present .ini files use magic keys referring to some internal definition of what to clean out.

How about adding some pseudo-environment variable %firefoxprofile% to the configuration, so at least the Firefox profile of the current user can be cleaned in a more standard fashion? Maybe there's even a way to add cleaning for all users this way.

Why would I want that feature? Well, some users want to clean out content-prefs.sqlite and possibly other files in their Firefox profile by adding this rule in winapp2.ini. This is not covered by the standard cleaning process.

Cheers,

--panoramacat.

• Moderators

Are you talking about FF2 or FF3 or Both?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 7 months later...
Not much of a feedback.

Am I the only one who wants to clean out places.sqlite in a more extensive way?

--panoramacat.

I have just joined this forum for exactly that reason. Not to be able to delete the Firefox history is reducing the suitability of Crap Cleaner significantly for me.

Anyone know how this can be done?

but doesn't places.sqlite in Firefox 3 combine the history and bookmarks files that were conveniently separate in Firefox 2? It's because of the problems of cleaning places.sqlite that I won't update Firefox 2 to Firefox 3. I think it was a dreadful idea to combine both files in this way. I like to securely clean on demand the history.dat file in FF2 and as this is now integrated into places.sqlite in FF3 this would no longer be possible without deleting my bookmarks too.

• 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one who wants to clean out places.sqlite in a more extensive way?

--panoramacat.

No, you're not! I guess no one cares because it's a lot of work...

but doesn't places.sqlite in Firefox 3 combine the history and bookmarks files that were conveniently separate in Firefox 2? It's because of the problems of cleaning places.sqlite that I won't update Firefox 2 to Firefox 3. I think it was a dreadful idea to combine both files in this way. I like to securely clean on demand the history.dat file in FF2 and as this is now integrated into places.sqlite in FF3 this would no longer be possible without deleting my bookmarks too.

Actually, FX3 backs up booksmarks so if you delete places.sqlite, the bookmarks are restored but you'll lose all history.

What would be nice is to clean the leftovers... by which I mean the indexed keywords used in the address bar search... which make up most of the garbage in places.sqlite. The history and bookmarks get deleted by FX's cleanup function but keywords are not. This is the issue, and not the idea or the file itself.

Since you want to delete a specific file in your Firefox profile you can use an Include file path + Custom Files and Folders, using these instructions.

We don't want that.

But, if CC's crew doesn't want to get down and dirty, we can understand...

• 1 month later...

For those of us who don't do Python, this one line DOS batch file line does the same thing:

for %%a in (*.sqlite) do (sqlite3 %%a vacuum)

You just have to ensure that SQLite is installed and in the system path.

Would a way to add the flexibility that some users require be to add the feature to call scripts from within CCleaner? Whether they be external batch files or an in-built scripting language.

Obviously, the above does not address the original poster's concern ... but it is relevant to the drifting topic!

--

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/vacuum-...er-performance/

but doesn't places.sqlite in Firefox 3 combine the history and bookmarks files that were conveniently separate in Firefox 2?

In my experience I've found as long as one keeps at least the latest "bookmarks-YYYY-MM-DD.json" file in the bookmarkbackups folder, bookmarks will be safe regardless of the status or presence of sqlite files. In the event of a missing or corrupt sqlite file, the json file will be parsed. In fact, I backup that json to another directory on a weekly basis should I ever need to rebuild the browser. And it's quickie way to migrate bookmarks to another computer vs export/import.

I've added these FF 3.5.1 files in my Include:

content-prefs.sqlite

places.sqlite

places.sqlite-journal

webappsstore.sqlite

Think I'm missing anything? I'm seriously into overkill. :P

Thanks!

"Machines making machines. How perverse." -C3PO