Windows wont shut down

sethm1

XP SP3

CCleaner version- Tried 2.12 and now 2.09

Recently after using CCleaner and then attempt to re-boot or shut down, I get a error :

"Windows is currently in the middle of a long operation. Either wait for the operation to finish or cancel before you exit."

I don't get this msg if I don't use CCleaner.

Is there a fix?

• Moderators
XP SP3

Recently after using CCleaner and then attempt to re-boot or shut down, I get a error :

"Windows is currently in the middle of a long operation. Either wait for the operation to finish or cancel before you exit."

Is there a fix?

After a clean is finished and you've closed CCleaner, open your task manager and see if you still see CCleaner.exe if so close it (end process) and report back here so we can figure out WHY itr won't close.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I had installed the UPH - did not make a difference.

(and how do I know if its working? I installed it. Double clicked on the .exe icon - but saw no screen saying it was activated. And what if I click on the icon again - would that de-activate it?

I Do not use Windows Defender.

Have not tried the Indexing service tip - so not sure if on or off (my guess its on by default, huh?).

Oh and I would find this under Msconfig / Services ?

If I turn off Index services - what other programs / systems could be affected?

I do have Nero - but no new changes to Nero of recent - or even the last year.

Oh and Nergel - I did check the Task Mgr and did not find a CCleaner reference- could there be something else I should be looking for?

So far none of what I have read in this or other forums have solved my issue. I am stumped.

• Moderators

Try turning off indexing.

Go start - run, and type in services.msc then press ok

Look for the indexing service and double click it. Use the little drop down box to set the startup type to disabled, click apply and then okay.

Now try CCleaner.

I have indexing turned off without any ill effects.

You can always turn it back on if you feel unhappy about it afterwards :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

XP SP3

Is there a fix?

That has happened to me also. It occurred periodically for a couple of weeks. Then I figured out Windows was trying to upgrade my system with SP3. I had to turn off automatic updates and that fixed my problem. Now I just go to the site 1X/mo and get the updates I need. Actually, I find I like that process better. I see that you already have SP3 but maybe MS is trying to "help you out" with some other wonderful upgrade.

Resolved-

Rt clicked the CCleaner Icon, Properties, then in Target added "/Debug"

Ran CCleaner.

Rebooted the PC with no problem.

Then after the boot, removed the "/Debug" and installed the latest version.

Ran that.

Did a reboot - still no error msg!

so looks like the debug did the trick.

hazelnut-

Went to services.msc & indexing was already set to "disabled" - bummer, I was hoping that should do it.

Hi sethm1,

Writeaway's suggestion has merit.

I have seen several users with similar "problems" to yours.

As you can probably tell by now, you have a timing thing going on.

To assist in evaluating can you give us a snapshot.

Go to CCleaner Tools > Startup. Give us a snap shot please.

Also think about what other tasks that may be scheduled to run about this same time at the time this occurs.

Please supply a snapshot of Task Manager also when this message occurs.

UPHClean is a service that starts at Windows start-up and it should stay running in the background. You should see it as a process in Task Manager. I don't understand why you have an Icon related to this. ???

Get it here only and install and "REBOOT".

UPHCLEAN User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

UPHClean:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP 32-Bit systems

THIS IS NOT FOR Windows VISTA. Vista has it's own program DPHClean.

UPHClean v1.6d does not function under Windows XP x64 Edition or Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition. A future version of UPHClean may be supported under those operating systems.

Nero has only to be used and this can occur. It is not related to Nero changes or updates.

Everything requested is important to resolve your "problem". Please provide it.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Edited by davey

• Moderators
Resolved-

Rt clicked the CCleaner Icon, Properties, then in Target added "/Debug"

Ran CCleaner.

Rebooted the PC with no problem.

Then after the boot, removed the "/Debug" and installed the latest version.

Ran that.

Did a reboot - still no error msg!

so looks like the debug did the trick.

Hope things keep working for you.

Good of you to post back. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Please supply a snapshot of Task Manager also when this message occurs - hopefully this is attached.

You should see it as a process in Task Manager - Yes I do

I don't understand why you have an Icon related to this - When downloaded from the Windows site, a folder is added to Program files. Since nothing happend nor any window that popped up asking me to activate, I found the exe file (the "icon") and double clicked on it. Are you saying by doing that I unactivated the cleaning service?

Since its in the Task Manager, then it should be OK.

Oh, still no error msg, so I think the Debug worked.

post-15727-1222493843_thumb.jpg

Please supply a snapshot of Task Manager also when this message occurs - hopefully this is attached.
If it was taken when the message occurred then that would be great. I always wanted to see this for myself. But unfortunately we didn't get the snapshot.

You should see it as a process in Task Manager - Yes I do

This is good. It means UPHClean has installed and is running OK ! It should load and start with Windows all the time now.

I don't understand why you have an Icon related to this - When downloaded from the Windows site, a folder is added to Program files. Since nothing happend nor any window that popped up asking me to activate, I found the exe file (the "icon") and double clicked on it. Are you saying by doing that I unactivated the cleaning service?

Since its in the Task Manager, then it should be OK.

It has been so long since I installed it that I even forgot about that being in C:\Program Files\UPHClean folder. The "READ ME" is very informative but refers to some things MOST users don't even need to know.

It is a "testament" to the professionalism of the author. He is still working on version 2.0 beta. It is too "buggy" for the normal user to mess with right now..

I know there is a reason that your situation reminded us. It will show up soon.

Double clicking that window brings up a command prompt Window. This is handy during development etc.

It does not harm anything. It may come in handy someday.

Oh, still no error msg, so I think the Debug worked.
We will see !!! :):) davey :):) This is me smiling because I know that besides "hazelnut" on your side, you also have the "Piriform Fairy" watching out for you!!! :P So do I.

This is a link to a gift that was given to me last year by DennisD. I am passing it on to you.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=91981

• 3 weeks later...

Davey -

Windows failing to shut down re-occured over the weekend.

I did a snapshot of the Task Mgr- but no CCleaner listed (that should be good as I closed CCleaner after a scan & clean- actually I hae CCleaner set to auto close after a clean. Wonder if I should go back to a manual close and see if that works.

I did try adding "/Debug" after the ...exe" - but that did not work this time.

And I think the issue is with CCleaner as no other program I use prevents me from shutting down- if I clean with CCleaner.

Thx

Davey -

Windows failing to shut down re-occured over the weekend.

OK Seth,

#1 To assist in evaluating can you give us a snapshot.

Go to CCleaner Tools > Startup. Give us a snap shot please.

It will help to get this snapshot NOW and post it back ASAP.

#2 We need a snap-shot of Task manager the next time this happens. We need to see everything in Task manager. This includes each tab in Task Manager.

Something else I would recommend is a free program called WhatsRunning. The name says it all.

You can use this to take snapshots and other uses. As with other tools do not use different tools to maintain similar items. I use only CCleaner to maintain my Startup entries.

This tools has helped me learn a lot and it still does.

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

Like any other website ignore any free scans. PLEASE,Only use free scans that we recommend on the forums.

This will come in handy when this shutdown conflict occurs.

Be ready to take snapshots when needed the next time this occurs.

Lastly, CCleaner is not preventing you from shutting down. It is the long process that we must find and correct.

Good luck,

:) davey