Generally safe to delete ALL checked entries?

erich93063

IS it generally safe to fix/delete ALL of the issues that CCleaner finds? Most of it, I would have no idea whether its safe to delete or not. I'm assuming, that if it found an issue it is safe to fix. Granted I know I can backup the registry first but was just wondering.

THANKS

I've personally never had a problem with it on my home computer, been doing check all fix/delete for months now, but there have been people that I know personally as well as reports on these forums and such of the registry cleaner interfering with stuff. I go through the entries manually on my business computers for that reason.

So you do take a chance by just deleting all every time that something's gonna break, but if you do system restore points for your Windows drive or registry snapshots or something of the sort then I say you're good, even if it's not the "official" thing to say. :)

EDIT: Might be relevant to add, most of the complaints I've heard have been from Windows Vista users. Might be ironic, might have a rhyme or rhythm, I don't know :P

• Moderators
IS it generally safe to fix/delete ALL of the issues that CCleaner finds?

Cleaner section:YES everything that it cleans is "Crap" (though Cleaning the "notification Area" seems to also reorder the Quick Launch Section)

Registry Section:NO, ONLY CLEAN WHAT YOU KNOW YOU DON'T NEED. Do it in small (one or two checkmarks) sections and back up everything (at least temporary till you know you don't need it.)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Regarding registry cleaning - Its not a bad idea to back up the items prior to cleaning. Options, Advanced, check the item "Show prompt to backup registry issues".

To have a some insight to the items that are being scanned/cleaned for the registry section see the users guide: http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/scr/issues.htm

User guide main index: http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

As for regular cleaning, 99% of the items are junk and can be removed without issue. It goes mostly unmentioned but when using the Applications tab in the cleaner section, not only junk files get removed. Also application specific recently opened/saved files or open/save locations get removed from the registry. There isnt an option to backup items in the cleaner section. Only the registry section.

Although it seems most of the issues and side effects from registry cleaning happen mostly to Windows XP users :P

Hi Disk4mat,

Although it seems most of the issues and side effects from registry cleaning happen mostly to Windows XP users .

Just wanted New users to realize something as regards the above quote.

This should not be construed to mean that WinXP is deficient in some manner.

What it does represent is the fact that MOST users new or old are using WinXP.

WinXP is the most popular used Operating System in the world.

You can expect the most problems reported to be related to WinXP because of this.

Therefore do not think that you have less chance of screwing up YOUR Registry if you are using another OS. Your chances are just as likely as the next user. Leave the Registry alone if you are just an average PC user.

Mess with it and you will be forced to learn a lot or learn the hard way way not to mess with it.

You will also become an Expert at doing Windows installs. You will also the learn the hard way why it is necessary to backup not only the System files but YOUR IMPORTANT FILES ALSO. For MOST users these are the most important files .

LEARN HOW TO AND DO BACKUP "YOUR FILES" BEFORE MESSING WITH THE REGISTRY !!!

If you try to save a few bytes in the Registry size now, you can loose an awful lot of bytes of PERSONAL DATA because of it.

I care about New users as much as the other members also. I am just trying to prevent some personal disasters and losses to the inexperienced PC user.

Best wishes,

:) davey

As said in the past, in my (not so humble) opinion is worth to consider the opportunity to leave all these entries unchecked by default.

In that way hopefully the users will have a look to each entry, and to its meaning, before proceed (eg. Shared DLLs - What is this? )

:rolleyes:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

• Moderators
In that way hopefully the users will have a look to each entry, and to its meaning, before proceed (eg. Shared DLLs - What is this? )

That's why the Beginner Guide should be included, there could be a built-in help system similar to other programs where you click a ? then click the item for a description. Or even mouse over help.

Hi Disk4mat,

Just wanted New users to realize something as regards the above quote.

This should not be construed to mean that WinXP is deficient in some manner.

Mostly my statement about XP was in response to what StreamlinePanda had said about Vista. Its all in good fun (mostly) B)