SpywareBlaster uninstalling problem

CeeCee

I decided to uninstall SpwareBlaster from my system. I really don't have any use for it, because i use Opera, and on IE, i allow ActiveX only for trusted sites. Also don't allow 3rd-party cookies.

I first disabled all protection from SB and then uninstalled it using the program own uninstaller. After that i checked the registry and those entries created by SB were still there. Well i rebooted, but after that those entries ARE STILL THERE. Aint SB create entries here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

There was only 2 entries under HKLM...\P3P\History, but several (i guess all) entries under those other keys. Question is, why they are not removed??

I decided to uninstall SpwareBlaster from my system. I really don't have any use for it, because i use Opera, and on IE, i allow ActiveX only for trusted sites. Also don't allow 3rd-party cookies.

I first disabled all protection from SB and then uninstalled it using the program own uninstaller. After that i checked the registry and those entries created by SB were still there. Well i rebooted, but after that those entries ARE STILL THERE. Aint SB create entries here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

There was only 2 entries under HKLM...\P3P\History, but several (i guess all) entries under those other keys. Question is, why they are not removed??

Have you used Tools > Internet options > Privacy > Remove all This may help, I have never uninstalled SB.

Good luck,

:) davey

Are those entries (sites) that i see there, created by SB?

IF it is a real long list then I would say, yes.

I can't say either way as regards Registry keys maybe set by other apps or methods.

Why bother?

SpywareBlaster does not consume any system resources and because IE is really embedded in Windows it is best to leave its protection enabled.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Well, my Spybot immunize feature is disabled. I can't think of any other app, that could create those entries.

You may have at sometime in the past. I put some in not knowing what it would do when I was learning. Of course I had to remove them as they were to MS. :lol:

You may have at sometime in the past. I put some in not knowing what it would do when I was learning. Of course I had to remove them as they were to MS. :lol:

Is there a fast way to remove them? Can i delete the whole 'ActiveX Compatibility' key and then recreate it?

SB tends to bloat the registry with its entries.
Gime a break :rolleyes:

You will have the master malware remover Tony Klein after you:

"So how did I get infected in the first place?" ? Tony Klein

4.) Install Javacool's SpywareBlaster

It will protect you from most spy/foistware in it's database by blocking installation of their ActiveX objects.

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22879

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yeah, but i just basicly have not any just for it, since i don't allow ActiveX on IE, except for very trusted sites. But i don't even use IE as my default browser, i use opera and JS is disabled. 3rd-party cookies on both browsers are disabled. + i use Ad-blocker program.

Yeah, but i just basicly have not any just for it, since i don't allow ActiveX on IE, except for very trusted sites. But i don't even use IE as my default browser, i use opera and JS is disabled. 3rd-party cookies on both browsers are disabled. + i use Ad-blocker program.

If it is an ActiveX issue just use Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add-ons and turn off what you would like.

If it is just sites being marked then Remove them under Privacy or Security.

I have a relatively slow or limited PC but I use whatever I can to keep out "The Bad Guys".

Did you go here and get updated plus I got some free ActiveX tools

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=111560

Edited by davey

• Moderators
SB tends to bloat the registry with its entries.

Soon Microsoft may do the same with their ActiveX killbits to protect Windows, see here.

I personally wouldn't care if SB bloated the registry with those killbits, blocked sites, etc., because it's just going to stop something malicious at some point from getting through that installed resident software may or may not properly detect and deal with. I'd rather not get an infection versus cleaning it up after the fact.

Edited by Andavari
Added more stuff

• Moderators
How the heck i can get rid of those 'ActiveX Compatibility' entries SB created?

Your guess is as good as mine. I always thought disabling them would cause them to be removed from the registry.

The only other guess I can come up with is if you have some resident software firewall, antivirus, antimalware, etc., that's perhaps protecting the registry or Internet Explorer's settings. I don't know if it's a registry permissions problem either, so maybe right click on of those keys and select Permission to see what it's set at.

I installed SB again and then enabled/disabled the protection, but still no joy. I tried those permission things, but wasn't able to get rid of those ActiveX Compatibility entries. Well, what to heck, since it seems i'm stuck with them, i keep my SB protection after all.

All SpywareBlaster does is add Compatibility Flags REG_DWORD Hexadecimal value 400 to the registry which means an ActiveX kill bit has been set against that partial CLSID #

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=144027

If you have run Spybot S&D Immunize or SpywareBlaster Immunize at least one time then all those registry entries will be there and maybe Windows insists that they should be there.

IE7Pro user

When disabling protection for a given CLSID, SpywareBlaster only removes the "Compatibility Flags" string value of the subkey in question, not the subkey itself, in case you might want to re-enable it afterwards.

If this bothers you, yes, you can remove the entire "ActiveX Compatibility" subkey, then recreate an empty one afterwards

When disabling protection for a given CLSID, SpywareBlaster only removes the "Compatibility Flags" string value of the subkey in question, not the subkey itself, in case you might want to re-enable it afterwards.

I don't like that it leaves stuff behind like that, even after SB is uninstalled.

I have many entries there without any values on them, like many bonzibuddy entries.

sbactivex319.jpg.xs.jpg

I don't like that it leaves stuff behind like that.

I have many entries there without any values on them, like many bonzibuddy entries.

sbactivex319.jpg.xs.jpg

Well, they're harmless, and, as I said, they can safely be deleted.

I agree with you in that it would be preferable for SB to completely remove the subkeys themselves in case of an uninstall. Maybe a suggestion to post at Javacool's forum at Wilderssecurity?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Protection for a CLSID is "on" only when the "Compatibility Flags" DWORD value is present in the subkey in question, and its value data equal "0x00000400"

No idea why you should have 'empty' keys there once all protection is ENabled, unless a number of CLSIDs were removed from the SpywareBlaster daatabase in previous updates.

Note, SpywareBlaster is not the only software writing to that registry key. SpyBot does as well ("immunisation") , and there are others, so it's probably a little rash to accuse' SB of having put them there.

Note, SpywareBlaster is not the only software writing to that registry key. SpyBot does as well ("immunisation") , and there are others, so it's probably a little rash to accuse' SB of having put them there.

It's possible, that those empty entries are created by SpyBot, since i have SpyBot. Although i don't remember enabling the immunize option. I guess it's still possible, that i have enabled it in some state. I have had it for so long time and few versions, i don't have the latest though.