Winxp bootable

tomcatonnet99

Tried the function in Nero "create a bootable disc" - just didn't do the job; had to insert NTLDR and NTDetect and thought it would insert the code for boot.ini but to no avail and a CD only worth the rubbish bin.

Whats the easiest, least complicated way to create a bootable for WinXP? Further is there a method to make it more generic? for instance the one bootable for XP and all its versions eg Home, Professional etc?

Another thing that crossed my mind was whether the same one Bootable disc could be deployed for different systems configurations in terms of disk partitionsby by (perhaps) creating folders with suitably coded boot.ini? and whether the system would read through all the folders and execute the best match?? - just a thought..

Used to be really simple with Dos just the three files; command.com,IO.sys, & ?? ..... cant really remember what those were; funny but its been a while :) doesn't seem like its as simple with windows is it?

(Would really appreciate any guidance; trying to fix a pc which keeps re-starting in any and every mode even tried the advanced modes under F8 .... checked the hard-disk it goes allright ! )

Thought having a winxp bootable would be great !

cheers

PS: most sites make a mention of floppy disks :) well don't even have a floppy drive to begin with no more! need info as regards files etc that I should have on the intended winxp bootable

• Moderators

The easiest way is with CD/DVD burning software that has the function available called something like this: Make Bootable Disc

However; You'll need the bootable files, such as from a floppy bootdisk, etc.

That's about all the info I can provide as I've never really delved any further into making a bootable CD or DVD.

It would be nice if Microsoft made some ultra lightweight OS that could fit onto and boot from a standard CD-R that would give a similar Windows feel and functionality just for restoration, or backing up of files on a trashed Windows installation with full support for all Windows filesystems including NTFS.

thanks guys will try both ....... but if I may and that is if anybody has tried both nu2 and UBCD, which one works best pls? or which is the most efficient in terms of a bootable and or partial recovery/repair modules etc...

Here is a little article and it gives links to about 5 different versions of bootable rescue CD"s. There is one in there that is huge and has every program on it you can think of. It's almost a complete system on a CD. http://www.techsupportalert.com/create-boo...e-rescue-cd.htm

Here is a little article and it gives links to about 5 different versions of bootable rescue CD"s. There is on in there that is huge and has every program on it you can think of. It's almost a complete system on a CD. http://www.techsupportalert.com/create-boo...e-rescue-cd.htm

many thanks Anthony :) - tomcatonnet99

• Moderators

Over the last few days I've discovered that the "Recovery Medai Builder" CD and the Disk Image backups I made with Paragon, will not work as they should.

They should do what they do in this Flash Video, provided for me by Anthony, but they freeze at the black screen announcing the installation of the mouse driver. Still trying to find out why.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-p...creenshots.html

The video to watch is the last one on the left.

Over the last couple of days, I've made two alternative rescue CDs. One from this link:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/live-wind...rescue-cd.shtml

This does boot me into my system, but I can't find a way to restore my Backup Image with it, and I don't think it will be much use for a failed drive scenario.

The second one from this link:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

This one is an almost 300mb BartPE based rescue cd with all the necessary files on the disk to boot you into a very simple "Windows" environment with a "Windows Explorer" type file/window handling system.

It's quite slow, as it's loading and working from the CD, but there's a lot you could do with this as it's not loading from your hard drive at all.

But so far, even with this Recovery CD, I still haven't been able to find a way to restore the Paragon Disk Image if the OS was trashed, or if I wanted to restore the Image to a new hard drive.

If any of you guys have Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8, Free Version, would you like to make, and try the "Recovery Media Builder" CD, boot with it, and see if you get past the point where my disk hangs?

The CD doesn't install anything or remove anything. It just takes you to a file handling screen from where you can restore your Disk Image Backup. As in the above video.

You can then simply remove the CD and reboot. If it hangs as mine did, you can remove the CD, press Ctrl/Alt/Delete to reboot as normal.

I need to know, as no doubt you do, as to whether Paragon HD Manager 8 Free Version Recovery Disks just don't work, or if it's a problem with my system.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Post got screwed up in an edit. Reposted.

• Moderators
It's quite slow, as it's loading and working from the CD, but there's a lot you could do with this as it's not loading from your hard drive at all.

If you get that bootable disc to working maybe try a DVD. I had never noticed any copying/accessing difference between a CD and DVD until I started copying movies over to my PS3 HDD. What I noticed was the copying from DVD is much faster than I had ever expected, and the copying from CD is much slower than I expected.

• Moderators
If you get that bootable disc to working maybe try a DVD. I had never noticed any copying/accessing difference between a CD and DVD until I started copying movies over to my PS3 HDD. What I noticed was the copying from DVD is much faster than I had ever expected, and the copying from CD is much slower than I expected.

Thanks for that, I'll bear that in mind.

For anyone interested, these are screenshots of the BartPE disk running, and the basic environment it gives you.

t246_BartPEDesktop.jpg

t245_BartPEDesktop2.jpg

A couple of shots accessing Paragon "Image Explorer".

t244_BartPEParagon.jpg

t247_BartPEParagonImageFile.jpg

Even after getting into my Backup Disk Image, Paragon still came up with messages about not being able to find the right file, so I don't think I could restore the Image using this method anyway.

If you have Paragon HD Manager 8 Free Edition, I hope I've given you something to think about. If you haven't actually tried booting with your disks to see if they work, you might be in for a nasty surprise if you ever need them.

A final point to mention. My PC, a Compaq Presario (HP) has built in software to make "Recovery Disks" of the Operating System (Shipping Condition), and a "Recovery Tools" CD to boot the PC and enable you to reinstall from the installed Recovery Partition, or the Recovery Disks if you don't have a Partition.

If your not aware of this, have a look. Mine is found in Start/All Programs/PC Help and Tools. And if you haven't used this feature, or any other OS/drive backup software, I'd strongly suggest you do so.

Thanks for that, I'll bear that in mind.

For anyone interested, these are screenshots of the BartPE disk running, and the basic environment it gives you.

t246_BartPEDesktop.jpg

t245_BartPEDesktop2.jpg

A couple of shots accessing Paragon "Image Explorer".

t244_BartPEParagon.jpg

t247_BartPEParagonImageFile.jpg

Even after getting into my Backup Disk Image, Paragon still came up with messages about not being able to find the right file, so I don't think I could restore the Image using this method anyway.

If you have Paragon HD Manager 8 Free Edition, I hope I've given you something to think about. If you haven't actually tried booting with your disks to see if they work, you might be in for a nasty surprise if you ever need them.

A final point to mention. My PC, a Compaq Presario (HP) has built in software to make "Recovery Disks" of the Operating System (Shipping Condition), and a "Recovery Tools" CD to boot the PC and enable you to reinstall from the installed Recovery Partition, or the Recovery Disks if you don't have a Partition.

If your not aware of this, have a look. Mine is found in Start/All Programs/PC Help and Tools. And if you haven't used this feature, or any other OS/drive backup software, I'd strongly suggest you do so.

Those shots are what you see when booting from the BartPE recovery disk? So the Task Bar at the top of the screen and the system tray with the Faststone Capture icon are part of the Bart PE environment?

• Moderators

Yep, that's what you have, all except Faststone Capture.

I launched that from it's Program Files folder to take the screen shots.

Another important point for anyone with Paragon HD Manager 8. The program is writing an error or errors onto the "Recovery Media Builder" CD, which you can confirm by running the disk through it's own "Check Recovery Disk" menu item.

I've tried 3 different disks, one in my second drive, and Tom AZ has tried his copy, and they all come up with a disk error which is definitely not due to faulty disks.

You have been warned. :)

Yep, that's what you have, all except Faststone Capture.

I launched that from it's Program Files folder to take the screen shots.

Another important point for anyone with Paragon HD Manager 8. The program is writing an error or errors onto the "Recovery Media Builder" CD, which you can confirm by running the disk through it's own "Check Recovery Disk" menu item.

I've tried 3 different disks, one in my second drive, and Tom AZ has tried his copy, and they all come up with a disk error which is definitely not due to faulty disks.

You have been warned. :)

Dump Paragon than. There are many others out there. I am currently messing around with Macrium Reflect free version. The Linux recovery disk that comes with the program boots no problem and the UI is all XP type windows so there is no Linux learning curve with it. The program is pretty slick to.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

I am currently messing around with Macrium Reflect free version. The Linux recovery disk that comes with the program boots no problem and the UI is all XP type windows so there is no Linux learning curve with it. The program is pretty slick to.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Just checked this out -- looks very interesting! However, one thing I didn't fully understand. What is and how do you use the "Linux Rescue CD" and/or the "BartPE Rescue CD Plugin?" Do they both do essentially the same thing?

Just checked this out -- looks very interesting! However, one thing I didn't fully understand. What is and how do you use the "Linux Rescue CD" and/or the "BartPE Rescue CD Plugin?" Do they both do essentially the same thing?

Yes they do the same thing. They are both ways for you to boot the machine without Windows. They give those two options and a third option in the paid version to insure that not matter what your set up you will have a way to boot.

The Linux CD is a joke to make, 30 seconds, and gives you a very simple UI that is basically the Macrium image recovery UI. Thats all you can do with that disk. It's about 6 MB a loads very quick. Once loaded you can remove the disk and the Linux enviroment runs in RAM so you can insert CD/DVD's with your back up images on them if you choose to back up that way. I will be storing my images on an external HD so in my case I would use the Linux disk to navigate to the external HD and retrieve the backed up image.

The BartPE plugin is something you add to the BartPE disk that Dennis has been posting shots of. This plugin puts the Macrium image recovery program on that BartPE disk so you can use Macrium from that disk.

There is a third option in the paid version for Vista users that creates a Windows PE disk with even more features. The paid version will even add Macrium to your machines boot menu so you can boot without the disk.

I'm still messing around with the program but like what I see. When I started looking at these types of apps Lifehacker had just started one of their "whats your favorite" features and in timely fashion it was about Windows back up apps. I noticed some positive comments about Macrium so I checked it out. I also seen the paid version was recently featured on the Give Away Of The Day and had one of the most successful showings ever on there. Read some nice on line reviews about Macrium to.

I am also messing around with Drive Image XML. Another free imagining program I read many good things about. It also requires the BartPE disk and provides a plugin for it.

The Linux CD is a joke to make, 30 seconds, and gives you a very simple UI that is basically the Macrium image recovery UI. Thats all you can do with that disk. It's about 6 MB a loads very quick. Once loaded you can remove the disk and the Linux enviroment runs in RAM so you can insert CD/DVD's with your back up images on them if you choose to back up that way. I will be storing my images on an external HD so in my case I would use the Linux disk to navigate to the external HD and retrieve the backed up image.

How do you test this CD once you've created it? I thought it was as simple as putting the CD in the drive and rebooting. However, when I do that, my XP just seems to bypass the CD drive and Windows loads as it normally does. Or, have I done something wrong?

How do you test this CD once you've created it? I thought it was as simple as putting the CD in the drive and rebooting. However, when I do that, my XP just seems to bypass the CD drive and Windows loads as it normally does. Or, have I done something wrong?

You have probably and wisely set-up your PC not to do that. P.S. It's a security thing.

You may have to use F2 or F12 to do that when rebooting.I can't remember which but I will look into it.

You may have it cracked before I do.

Good luck,

:) davey

You need to change the BIOS setting so that your machine looks to the CD ROM first when booting. Than it will detect the disk and by pass your HD.

You need to change the BIOS setting so that your machine looks to the CD ROM first when booting. Than it will detect the disk and by pass your HD.

That was it -- and it's now fixed. Thanks, Anthony.