Firewall

doodler

First, some background:

• I'm not a pc power user
  • I have Windows XP pro with service patches 1 and 2
  • I'm careful where I go on the internet
  • Typically I'm on the web 10-15 hours a week
  • I do use the web occasionally for banking transactions

My security set up is Eset Nod32, Spybot and Superantispyware (free versions), and Windows Firewall. To beef up my security, I installed Comodo Personal Firewall with HIPS + (free version) a few months ago. But I quickly discovered I'm not skilled enough to handle that firewall plus the HIPS. Frankly, even if I was technically-savvy, I don't want that level of intrusiveness on my pc. (Yes, I know you can disable the HIPS part, but it still digs deep into your system. Plus, I began getting BSOD's whenever I ran CheckDisk. Too buggy.)

I've been searching and searching for a simple firewall (no HIPS...no needless bells and whistles) that gives me 2-way protection versus the one-way protection I'm only getting from Windows Firewall. Primarily, I want to be notified just in case something gets on my pc...like a keylogger...and tries to "call home". The best current firewall that I've found that meets my criteria for simplicity is the free version of ZoneAlarm. But, it's very bloated with a security suite (inactive) that takes it over 40 mb.

Here's where the craziness comes into the picture. I'm considering downloading Kerio 2.1.5...which is a few years old, but from what I've read in forums, is very stable, user-friendly, and simple.

Do you think I'm nuts to consider installing such an old firewall?

• Moderators

Firewalls can seem to be scary things, they seem so techie, complicated and sometimes spoil the enjoyment of using a computer.

Also, as I am sure you know, a lot depends as well what else you run, or else you get the ugly word, conflicts, rearing it's head.

Some people will go down the hardware route, others both the harware and software firewall

I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions.

Kerio is a well respected firewall.

You may also consider giving Onlin Armor a try, it's quite user friendly.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Firewalls can seem to be scary things, they seem so techie, complicated and sometimes spoil the enjoyment of using a computer.

Also, as I am sure you know, a lot depends as well what else you run, or else you get the ugly word, conflicts, rearing it's head.

Some people will go down the hardware route, others both the harware and software firewall

I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions.

Kerio is a well respected firewall.

You may also consider giving Onlin Armor a try, it's quite user friendly.

Thanks. I should also point out I have only a few programs on my pc (I love simplicity) and my pc is behind a wireless modem/router (hardware firewall). A few weeks ago I ran a ShieldsUP! and all my tested ports are stealthed (although my system still pings and I can't get it to stop). Anyway, I feel pretty well protected from inbound threats. It would nice, though, to have the added security of being alerted of outbound connection attempts.

I thought Online Armour had HIPS?

You don't want to run Kerio 2.1.5 since it now has security holes - unfortunatley.

Windows Firewall works for me, FWIW.

Silj

Thanks for your input.

Do the "security holes" to which you refer mean an outbound transmission (from my computer to the an outside computer) could be sent without Kerio 2.1.5 alerting me?

Since you are like me in solely depending on Windows Firewall, do you have any concerns about outbound stuff? Do you think it's overrated concern?

Let's not get into a debate here, Kerio 2.1.5 is outdated Don't Run It!

Silj

I'm asking questions only because I'm trying to learn. Not sure why you thought I was debating your answers; that wasn't my intent.

• Moderators
Let's not get into a debate here, Kerio 2.1.5 is outdated Don't Run It!

I second that.

Installing KPF 2.1.5 and thinking you're protected out-of-the-box using it is a complete utter illusion.

It has to be configured with so many user added blocking(s), and while you're configuring it your system is vulnerable and perhaps stays vulnerable even after you properly configure it.

Better off just sticking with Windows Firewall in my opinion.

All...

Thanks for the input. I welcome opinions.

I could be wrong, but I thought Online Armor Free came with HIPS. I'm not too keen on that. Please let me know if I'm mistaken. Also, thanks for Sunbelt/Kerio suggestion.

Here's an idea: Piriform...you folks did a stellar job with CCleaner. You made it with four essential features: Safe, Efffective, Simple, and Free. So, ready for a new project? Create a firewall that is Safe, Effective, Simple, and Free. What a great complement to your other products! A simple to use firewall...no bells or whistles...that controls/gives notices about inbound and outbound transmissions; that's pretty much it. Small footprint. Works on XP and Vista. Again, keep it simple to use because trust me...there's a whole population of computer users out there that don't know a whole lot about pc's and don't have the time or inclination to learn a whole lot either. They just want reasonable protection that is Safe, Effective, Simple, and Free. You'd make a fortune in donations.

All...

Thanks for the input. I welcome opinions.

I could be wrong, but I thought Online Armor Free came with HIPS. I'm not too keen on that. Please let me know if I'm mistaken. Also, thanks for Sunbelt/Kerio suggestion.

Here's an idea: Piriform...you folks did a stellar job with CCleaner. You made it with four essential features: Safe, Efffective, Simple, and Free. So, ready for a new project? Create a firewall that is Safe, Effective, Simple, and Free. What a great complement to your other products! A simple to use firewall...no bells or whistles...that controls/gives notices about inbound and outbound transmissions; that's pretty much it. Small footprint. Works on XP and Vista. Again, keep it simple to use because trust me...there's a whole population of computer users out there that don't know a whole lot about pc's and don't have the time or inclination to learn a whole lot either. They just want reasonable protection that is Safe, Effective, Simple, and Free. You'd make a fortune in donations.

Not a good idea.

How about trying Comodo's earlier version, 2.4? Seems to work well for me. I'm also using Threatfire as a behaviour blocker. Hardly any popups.

If you can't find one that suits you, and end up continuing with the XP firewall, consider some kind of keyscrambler. There's an extension for Firefox that seems to work well.

The current OA includes a full HIPS, so may not be to your liking.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user