Spybot S&D

Icedrake

When I was looking through the programs on my computer in Uninstall manager, I noticed that I had 2 Spybots installed.

One says: Spybot S&D

The other says: Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20

Should I uninstall one? And if I should, which one should I uninstall?

No doubt due to an incomplete removal of a previous version of SpyBot. One of them is likely to be just an orphaned registry key.

It would be great (as has been repeatedly suggested in the past) if there was a "Regedit Jump" option in Uninstall Manager that could take you to each of the registry keys in question .

That way you could verify which entry holds the path to your current installation of SpyBot S&D, and you'd know which entry to remove.

For the sake of good houskeeping, and if you're not familiar with the Registry, try uninstalling both,

One of the entries may refuse to go, and that will very likely be the invalid registry key. In that case, simply remove the entry it with CCleaner

Finally, do a fresh insttall of SpyBot.

Microsoft Windows Sysinternals RegJump, albeit it isn't automatic but if regjump.exe is installed in the Windows directory it can be used via Start->Run.

I'm familiar with it, but I already use a registry editor which offers that feature

That said, it would be nice if the CC Uninstall manager offered that possibility; it would make it a whole lot more useful.

I'm not an expert on the registry Anthony, so could you please tell me how you run that? Thanks

Just right click and "save as" the blue highlighted "this very small fix". Save to your Desktop or some where you will be able to find it. It will be saved as a Reg file. Just double click the saved file and run it. You could also right click and select "merge". After you run it I would reboot, that's what I did, than install the newest S&D.

On a semi-related note, how reputable is Spybot these days? I've heard the last couple years they've falled behind in the antispyware game. This article seems to suggest that as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_S%26D#Reviews_and_awards. Is Spybot really worth using anymore?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

On a semi-related note, how reputable is Spybot these days? I've heard the last couple years they've falled behind in the antispyware game. This article seems to suggest that as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_S%26D#Reviews_and_awards

PC World reviews are for Spybot S&D 1.4

http://www.pcworld.com/search?qt=spybot#

I hate the way PC Mag and PC World pop up an annoying nag to purchase their magazine :angry:

I have a feeling that the ratings are bolstered by how much advertising space is purchased in the magazines and I see that the Reader Rating is much better pcm_product_search_rr_3.gif

Is Spybot really worth using anymore?
Yes.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Just a word of caution as regards uninstalling Spybot: If ones made changes to the Start up Programs manager in Spybot its gonna affect those programs when you uninstall.. make sure to revert that to state you had it in before uninstalling ( atleast thats what I encountered, when I uninstalled Spybot; I lost the entire MS suite, just sort of lost the plot )