Awesome xp article

rridgely

Lets hope MS follows his recommendation! :D

I'm totally in agreement with you on that one....

The disk space required for Vista is utterly ludicrous. I'm trying to think of what built in programs I used in Vista...

Its a very short list! :lol:

Perhaps they should allow users to customize the installation more.....even when its comes as part of a PC/Laptop from a dealer.

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

• Moderators

One thing he doesn't mention is how vista also essentially kills the low end desktop market as well.

Right now you can get a PC with about a 2ghz process, 512-1gig ram and dvd burner with a monitor from dell (or whoever) for like $400. With xp this is going to be a pretty speedy little machine. Its not going to break any records but its going to get what you need done besides video/gaming. If you put vista on that machine its going to be considered slow.

By keeping around xp it would also free up MS to finally do what they have been needing to do from the beginning. A complete OS rewrite. That way they could do what mac did with osx. Start over and come back with a killer OS. They wouldn't have to bother with compatibility because the Windows Basic(as he called it) would fill in the needs of those people and then eventually the new OS would take over. Essentially what they failed to do with vista. :D

I agree. I looked at the specs for the lower "level" versions of Vista, and they're outrageous. How do they expect to run that kind of software on low-end PC's?

That's like asking you to build a high-powered rifle from a tube, a slingshot, and a rubber handle.

• Moderators

His article makes the absolute most sense over the XP versus Vista debacle I've read in ages. Hopefully a Microsoft big shot reads the article, the last two paragraphs at the very least.

Does anybody know how long MS is going to be supporting XP for? Last I heard you will not be able to buy it anymore sometime this summer but what about updates and security patches? I read some where that MS was going to support XP until 2017 but I can't see that happening.

I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a Vista Home Premium system in a couple of months but first I have to pay the Tax Man almost $700.00 that would have permitted me to purchase the system now.

It will replace my XP Home system.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a Vista Home Premium system in a couple of months but first I have to pay the Tax Man almost $700.00 that would have permitted me to purchase the system now.

Careful with that. My parents just got THIS "Vista Home Premium" laptop, and I have NOT been impressed with it's performance. My XP Home machine is an Athlon 62 X2 1.7 Ghz with 1GB RAM and it FLIES by comparison. Vista seems to have such high resource requirements, that you have to have a VERY powerful PC to match XP's performance. Even a dual core 2GB system won't keep up.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

-----------------------------------------

can you not miss it & get next one may be better, that's my pick, & you get nill with Vista if you have XP.& don't get the bad driver's. :mellow::mellow: