Phantom Mouse Clicks

larry39

This question may be in the gray area between software and hardware. Has anyone ever had the problem of phantom mouse clicks?

Occasionally, I will have a window to close, a menu slection activated just by passing over it, or a background window will become active, all on their own. I use a MicroSoft wireless keyboard and mouse connected via USB. My software allows adjustment for double click sensitivity only. My daughter has the same problem with her Dell laptop that uses a touch pad.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

One things to bare in mind when using touchpads, is that most of them are pressure sensitive.

You can open up an program by moving the mouse cursor over its icon and then "tapping" on the pad twice, which acts as a double click instead of using the buttons.

That said most manufacturers allow you to turn of this function, so it might be worth having a look around the software and see what options you have.

Sucess is a journey, not a destination...

• Moderators

I also have a wireless MS mouse and keyboard, however I've never had any phantom mouse clicks with it.

Perhaps running a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment along the crevices of the mouse can remove any dirt and debree, i.e.; a sticking mouse button. I don't know if that will actually help however dirt has been a main culprit of mouse malfunction for years, well at least with the old rollerball type it was.

Edit:

It "may be software related" as I myself had one wicked time with one version, so perhaps looking for updated versions of the software will remedy the problem:

• 2 weeks later...

I had already checked that the mouse was clean so I tried the focus setting suggested by Humpty. It's been about two weeks now without the problem ocurring, so it seems the focus setting did the trick.

Thanks to all who responded.

NOt clicks... but i do have a rouge mouse icon. Its USB Dell mouse (dell... need i say more) with the laser beam. And every so often the mouse icon on the screen will slowly begin to move in an etch-a-sketch manner. very slowly, and the mouse itself is not doing anything. Just sitting idle. The desk is level, i work in building supplies so i know factually my desk is perfectly level. Some times ill just sit and watch it and see if there is a pattern to it.

NO pattern in the least.

But its kinda of creepy and can be a good distraction at times.

I have no idea what casues it? Ive just come to accept it!

• Moderators
NOt clicks... but i do have a rouge mouse icon. Its USB Dell mouse (dell... need i say more) with the laser beam. And every so often the mouse icon on the screen will slowly begin to move in an etch-a-sketch manner. very slowly, and the mouse itself is not doing anything. Just sitting idle. The desk is level, i work in building supplies so i know factually my desk is perfectly level. Some times ill just sit and watch it and see if there is a pattern to it.

NO pattern in the least.

But its kinda of creepy and can be a good distraction at times.

I have no idea what casues it? Ive just come to accept it!

The little jerky motions is a known problem reported by many people who are using a USB mouse, who knows maybe it's a default Windows driver issue or something else. It's the reason I ended up getting a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo, that's how f'n annoying it was.