Windows XP Installer Files

Tom AZ

• Moderators

They're located in: C:\WINDOWS\Installer

But note there's typically a ton of stuff in there. Hovering your mouse over the .MSI files may tell you what each one is for - that is if they have descriptions, some don't.

Or if an app is asking for some Windows files you could point it to "C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386"

The Driver Cache folder contains a platform subdirectory and a copy of the driver.cab file so that new devices can be easily installed without needing the Windows XP CD.

• Moderators
They're located in: C:\WINDOWS\Installer

But note there's typically a ton of stuff in there. Hovering your mouse over the .MSI files may tell you what each one is for - that is if they have descriptions, some don't.

Only visable if you untick 'hide protected system operating files' in folder option>view.

Good idea to retick it after you have had a look.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Only visable if you untick 'hide protected system operating files' in folder option>view.

Good idea to retick it after you have had a look.

Just type C:\WINDOWS\Installer in the Address bar of Windows Explorer, or put it into Start->Run and absolutely no fiddling with Folder Options is necessary. :P:P:P

• Moderators

Ahhh, but you didn't say that first time :P

Also not many know that if you type www.google.com or any other web address into the address bar of windows explorer while online, you will go there. :P

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Also not many know that if you type www.google.com or any other web address into the address bar of windows explorer while online, you will go there. :P

Yeah it's that whole browser integrated into the OS thing that has had people rattled for years. I've known about that since my Win98 days and I think I've used it to load a website all of about like two or three times.

Too bad Windows Disk Cleanup can't remove ad's and other junk from the web:

cleanmgr.exe www.doubleclick.net :lol:

• Moderators
I can't seem to get my Windows Explorer Address Bar to display. Am I missing something?

You may have to enable it:

1. Open any folder.

2. Click View, Toolbars, and make sure Address Bar has a check mark next to it.

Screenshot:

i410_weab.png

• Moderators
Found a couple of unneeded files there. Haven't deleted them yet, though...

Some uninstallers will leave some stuff in that 'C:\Windows\Installer' folder, but for the most part many remove what they placed in their, unless of course the installer is somewhat broken or something like a McAfee or Norton bloated product.

Another folder which I wrote a cleaning routine for some time ago, and it's included in CCleaner's winapp2.ini add-on is [*Config.msi Folder] which can get some clutter into it over time.

Another folder which I wrote a cleaning routine for some time ago, and it's included in CCleaner's winapp2.ini add-on is [*Config.msi Folder] which can get some clutter into it over time.

Where that Config.msi folder is? Do you mean Windows/Config folder?

edit: Did some Googling and found out that folder suppose to be in root C:, but i don't got it... Oh, and yes, hidden files were visible.

• Moderators
Where that Config.msi folder is? Do you mean Windows/Config folder?

edit: Did some Googling and found out that folder suppose to be in root C:, but i don't got it... Oh, and yes, hidden files were visible.

It's in 'C:\Config.msi' and yeah it's also a hidden folder.

You may not have anything in it since most .msi packages I've encountered really aren't all that sloppy. However on occasion especially if a reboot is required stuff can get left in there. You may not have that folder at all if you haven't installed any software that uses Microsoft Windows Installer setup files ".msi".

If you install just one .msi file (usually they're packed into a self-extracting .exe) that Config.msi folder will be created.

You may not have that folder at all if you haven't installed any software that uses Microsoft Windows Installer setup files ".msi".

If you install just one .msi file (usually they're packed into a self-extracting .exe) that Config.msi folder will be created.

I have installed many .msi files, but i don't got that Config.msi folder.

• Moderators
I have installed many .msi files, but i don't got that Config.msi folder.

Very interesting, I just checked and it isn't on my system either and I've installed a ton of things that use .MSI like my printer/scanner software, ISP software, etc.

• Moderators
But you have got it, right?

I don't have that C:\Config.msi folder at all, even though I had to re-install my printing software which went wacko for no reason. I don't think that winapp2.ini cleaning entry removes the folder though, so "maybe it's just getting removed on it's own," which I don't really know if it is.