Java (Sun)

agumon

i am currently learning J2ME (Java 2 Platform, Micro Edition) programming using J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.2... some of my classmates said Java will soon die out... and will be replace by microsoft own programming language such as J# etc...

so what you guys think about it...?

--==aGumon==--

They'll fight neck and neck for the rest of our lives, like IE vs. Netscape. .NET et al are good when you need a managed app, like server stuff, but not for writing client-only apps (hence the name NET) and java is already out there and applicable on many mobile devices... the same cannot be said for .NET et al.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators

I personally have never liked using Java based app's because they always seemed rather sluggish, of course that was based upon my usage of them on my Win98 system. I also don't like .NET app's especially after using ATI's display drivers that have the ATI control panel which is .NET based. Since I know how it reacts with my system I now only use the standard Windows GUI styled ATI control panel driver.

The sluggish performance seems as if it'll bring my WinXP Pro system to a halt, even though my system has 1 GB Ram & a 3.2 Ghz P4 w/HT, hence the reason I avoid them.

I personally have never liked using Java based app's because they always seemed rather sluggish, of course that was based upon my usage of them on my Win98 system. I also don't like .NET app's especially after using ATI's display drivers that have the ATI control panel which is .NET based. Since I know how it reacts with my system I now only use the standard Windows GUI styled ATI control panel driver.

The sluggish performance seems as if it'll bring my WinXP Pro system to a halt, even though my system has 1 GB Ram & a 3.2 Ghz P4 w/HT, hence the reason I avoid them.

Same on my 3.4 GHz P4 HT with 2GB RAM. So I just install the drivers that come without that junky Control Center.

Well, that is just ONE .NET application, and as I stated, it is not recommended to write client-side-only apps in .NET, and for what it's worth, .NET is pretty OK. agumon is *programming* in Java, and that is a pretty cool portable language for slim devices.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

What is good with Java is that it is portable. But it sucks that the apps with GUI's in Java are ugly.

I never really liked Java but I guess the language as-is is pretty okay.

But Sun, the company behind Java is evil.

Java is not really free.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Maybe you dont enjoy programming or maybe you dont apprecite Java and its syntax or something.

Or maybe you dont enjoy lessons and like more experiment yourself.

There are many languages depending on what you want todo.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Maybe you dont enjoy programming or maybe you dont apprecite Java and its syntax or something

not really... i like programming in visual basic.NET and C#.NET (currently learning ASP.NET)

--==aGumon==--

You're learning the wrong languages, heh.

J2ME is quite cool, I have thought about learning that too, it would be nice to make applications for cellphones.

Visual Basic, I started programming in that, the good thing is that its RAD (Rapid Application Developement), but you probably should stay away from VB, because it just gets you locked to one platform.

C-Sharp (C#) is more powerful than VB, but here you get locked to a playform too.

And for ASP you get locked to a platform too. PHP is a much greater alternative.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Visual Basic, I started programming in that, the good thing is that its RAD (Rapid Application Developement), but you probably should stay away from VB, because it just gets you locked to one platform.

C-Sharp (C#) is more powerful than VB, but here you get locked to a playform too.

what do you meant by "locked"?

--==aGumon==--

the same thing he means every single time he posts anywhere; it is not free, it is not free, it is not free and open source, linus torvalds and stallman don't do body shots of vodka off him, so it must not be worthy of use anywhere in the free world.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips