Gas gauge

Humpty

Just got an email with the following bit of info:

"If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo below). It's that simple!

Why don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers ed manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Go out and share the worlds best kept auto secret with your friends as this is information is way too important to be kept secret."

As you say Humpty, why hasn't anyone told us?

Because it isn't really that important to know that information and I for one know which side I fill my car up on. The most important thing to know is whether if you need to fill the car up with petrol or diesel

This topic reminds me of the blond that ran out of petrol (gas) :D

The auto club mechanic says...

Lady don't you check you fuel gauge?

Don't you know that (E) on the gauge stands for (empty)?

Her answer was...

I thought (E) stands for (enough) :lol:

• Moderators
The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo below). It's that simple!

What if your gas tank is underneath the car, couldn't resist. :P:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Another bum steer perpetuated by myself. :rolleyes:

Origins: This seemingly helpful heads-up began circulating on the Internet in October 2007. As anyone who has driven a rental car well knows, it would indeed be useful to Fuel indicator have some sort of indicator on the instrument panel that would reveal on which side to refuel on. Sadly, "The World's Best Kept Auto Secret" (as the e-mail is often titled) doesn't live up to its hype: while the icon it describes is real, the hidden message it supposedly communicates is not.

The nozzle-and-hose side of the "low fuel" indicator (which is usually presented as an icon depicting a gas pump) doesn't consistently correspond with the side of the car where the fuel door is to be found, nor does its placement on the instrument array (left side versus right side) tell whether you should bring the passenger's or driver's side up next to the pumps at your local gas station.

Urban Legend