How to remove old Sun Java ghost installs?

mgr

All,

I'm looking for a way to remove some old "ghost" Sun Java entries in the CCleaner Uninstall tool. They are J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2 and Update 4.

So far, they cannot be removed by CCleaner or Add / Remove. I was able to edit the names in CC to add the suffix "obsolete" on the end, and these edited names show up in Add / Remove. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Remove via CC uninstall "delete" - CC says it can't remove an MSI installer

2. Run CC "uninstall" - CC prompts for the original file installation, which is now long gone

3. Run Add / Remove - A/R lists them but shows no size, no info, and has no links to "change / remove"

4. Remove the entries from the registry - a registry search draws a blank on "update 2," "update 4" or "obsolete" text

5. Find them on the hard drive - a full search for the text above draws a blank on anything remotely Java related.

6. Reinstall the programs so I can delete them - I can't find the old versions anywhere

7. Try other programs - my other programs (Spybot, RegSupreme Pro, etc.) don't show the old versions, just the latest Java install (6.0 Update 3)

This is very vexing. They're not creating any issues, but I find them annoying and I don't like it when I can't maintain control of my own machine. I also know that if CC can edit the names, they have to be somewhere.

Any help or direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

mgr

Even if you do un-install the old Sun Java applications then you have to use Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Java then manually delete the old Folders.

I prefer RegSeeker as it is a safe registry cleaner:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thanks for the tip. That's a blast from the past (I've used JV programs for years, up to RSP which I use now) but I gave it a try in the spirit of troubleshooting. It also failed to find those entries, as does all my other software except CC.

I suspect they're not in the registry (I tried searching as noted above). Question is, where are they?

mgr

Sorry, some replies crossed while I was responding. My original was for CeeCee. YoKenny, I'll try your RegSeeker next. I've already cleaned those Java folders a long time ago.

mgr

All,

The problems are eliminated!!

Thanks, JDPower, for providing the solution that worked (Installer Cleanup Utility).

I'm still puzzled why I couldn't find the entries in the registry, and none of the registry cleaners found them, either, but it's a moot point now. I've retested Java and it works fine, so no residual issues (so far).

Thanks to all for the timely & helpful responses.

mgr