Using msconfig

LuLu

Hopefully this is in the right forum. If not, then I apologize. Here is my problem...

I'm trying to remove some programs from Windows start up using msconfig. Well, when I untick the programs I don't want loading at start up and reboot, I get a message telling me my computer has loaded in Diagnostic or Selective start up and to review the changes in my system settings. How do I get it to load normally or whatever? I only picked like 3 programs to not load at start up...Quicktime, my Kodak software and my Philips Device Manager something or other. Am I doing something wrong??

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

... I get a message telling me my computer has loaded in Diagnostic or Selective start up and to review the changes in my system settings.

The message is by design; in that dialogue you'll find a "don't show me this message again" check box. Tick it, and you won't see that popup again.

At the bottom of the msg there's a check box that say's "Dont show this message or lanuch system configuration utility when windows start". Put a tick in it, then it shouldn't appear again.

Please note msconfig is a diagnostic tool and shouldn't be used as a permanent way to stop programs running at startup. Try looking inside the program itself to stop it, or use something like 'Hijack this' to remove startup entries.

CCleaner also has a startup removal in the 'Tools' section.

CraigM

Please note msconfig is a diagnostic tool and shouldn't be used as a permanent way to stop programs running at startup. Try looking inside the program itself to stop it

If within the program itself there is no such option, The Msconfig Startup tab is an excellent alternative, allowing you to simply disable the application from launching with Windows, something that can be reversed if desired.

Deleting a Registry run entry with HijackThis or CCleaner is of course a little more difficult to reverse.

• Moderators
Please note msconfig is a diagnostic tool and shouldn't be used as a permanent way to stop programs running at startup.

CraigM

A more recommended way is to do start>run and type services.msc >press enter.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

That is correct, a more recommended way is to do start>run and type services.msc >press enter.
Yes but some startup entries aren't services.

Also some entries such as Realsched (Real Player updater), qttask (QuickTime updater), Javasched (Java updater) will re-add themselves to startup. Best way to stop them is to go into the program, disable their automatic update checking, then search your computer for the exe entries and rename them (ie search for realsched.exe and rename it realschedOLD.exe or whatever you want - as long as it's not its original name it won't re-add itself)

But HijackThis does create a backup, if you need to re-apply.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Still, I think there's something appealing about being able to simply toggle the status of a startup as opposed to nuking it, then having to restore it from a backup should you decide you want it after all. :)

Thanks everybody. I think I'll try rridgely's recommendation. :)

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Hi all B)

I've used (Spybot S&D-Tools-System Startup) to disable a few different things, is this procedure OK?

I haven't deleted any entry's, just unchecked them.

• Moderators
Hi all B)

I've used (Spybot S&D-Tools-System Startup) to disable a few different things, is this procedure OK?

I haven't deleted any entry's, just unchecked them.

Dunno, I've never personally deleted anything with Spybot-S&D's startup tool, although I used to create startup entries in it.

The makers of Spybot-S&D also have a beta program somewhat similar to Sysinternals AutoRuns called RunAlyzer.