video card goin bad?

MikeO5422

Hi, my gf is having issues with her gfx/monitor. It keeps shutting of and then turning back on with horrible gfx buggs. Sometimes the comp locks up completely. Other times when the computer boots up the monitor wont turn on. (one time i had a screen filled with AAAAAAAAAAAAA ;) ) I tried reinstalling video card drivers but i think her video card is just goin bad. Its an old computer. Her video card is a geforce fx5200. I know for a fact she has up to date mobo drivers, up to date video card drivers, and all the cords are plugged in nice and tight. The video card is also locked in nice and tight. You think it could just be going bad? I posted in spyware hell and they said my hjt log was clean so its not spyware/vrius related. What do you guys think?

Hi, my gf is having issues with her gfx/monitor. It keeps shutting of and then turning back on with horrible gfx buggs. Sometimes the comp locks up completely. Other times when the computer boots up the monitor wont turn on. (one time i had a screen filled with AAAAAAAAAAAAA ;) ) I tried reinstalling video card drivers but i think her video card is just goin bad. Its an old computer. Her video card is a geforce fx5200. I know for a fact she has up to date mobo drivers, up to date video card drivers, and all the cords are plugged in nice and tight. The video card is also locked in nice and tight. You think it could just be going bad? I posted in spyware hell and they said my hjt log was clean so its not spyware/vrius related. What do you guys think?

What are the "typical" symptoms of a bad video card -- or is there no such thing?

What are the "typical" symptoms of a bad video card -- or is there no such thing?

Hi,

I recently had a bad video card, symptoms on my x1900xt was that it would Freeze in windows, and ati would activate vpu recovery, now that could be all type of problems, like driver corruptions, bad software ect, so after many vpu recovery, my pc wouldent start up, and the speakers would make 1 long and 3 short beep codes, meaning the ram on my gfx was bad :-( . Now i have dealt with some bad gfx in my time, and some other error could also be display corruption(if under games, meight be heat problems).

• Moderators

Mine on both occasions had corrupted horizontal and vertical lines all over the display. I wish I still had the screenshot, but http://xs.to doesn't have it hosted any more after a supposed hardware failure of their own.

oh oh. my desktop is getting vertical lines periodically and i have to shut down and restart and then it works. hope my video card isnt dying on me........

and Andavari, two video cards and a mobo? wow! my desktop is 6 years old and i havent burnt out either! And its never turned off.

• Moderators
and Andavari, two video cards and a mobo? wow! my desktop is 6 years old and i havent burnt out either! And its never turned off.

Those vertical lines from my experience can mean two things:

1. Buggy drivers.

2. The beginning of the end of your video card.

According to the in-home repair service the cooling fans on video cards may eventually stop working and then cause the video card to overheat, and eventually cook itself into complete failure.

I was randomly seeing vertical lines that disappeared on reboot for almost a year until my first video card finally went kaput. The second one only lasted two months with no warning of completely failing.

My PC will be four years old in November so I sort of expect stuff to randomly die. I've already been through one DVD drive, but that I'd highly expect to happen due to ripping a bunch of audio CDs.

Two video cards was however unexpected. The mobo replacement was just a precaution according to Dell who replaced it for free stating the failures could be because of the mobo. I just hope I have no more serious system crippling problems because my extended warranty I purchased expires in November, and I definitely don't have the money for a big PC repair or new PC purchase (unless I get some cheap off the shelf PC, which I don't want).

k, that makes sense. i have an ati all in wonder card in right now, but i still have the bottom of the line nividia card that came with the comp. worse comes to worse if the ati one burns out, ill just put the other one back in. wont be able to use multiple monitors anymore, but i can do that with the laptop if need be, so its ok i guess.

im probably going to wait a year or two till i buy my next desktop. this one will be close to being kaput at that time, and ill just salvage a few parts, and then upgrade to something higher end for a desktop.

ive actually been happy with this ibm desktop. i think i got good performance from it over the years, but the technology is just so much more advanced now that its getting more and more obsolete.

i was actually looking at a really nice desktop the other day that had 1 terabyte hard drive, 4 gbs ram, 3 gb processor. 768 mb video card all for 3 g. not bad considering i paid 2 g 6 years ago for my current desktop. (specs below). and it only came with a 17 crt monitor, 128 mb card, 40 gb drive, 256 ram, etc.

• Moderators
i was actually looking at a really nice desktop the other day that had 1 terabyte hard drive, 4 gbs ram, 3 gb processor. 768 mb video card all for 3 g. not bad considering i paid 2 g 6 years ago for my current desktop. (specs below).

Even at $3,000 ("3 g") and up I'd still find something to upgrade. :lol: