New DeFragger

acooldozen

• Moderators

I like this defragger and it seems to be a very stable beta build. The only thing I don't like is the HTML area on the right hand side.

It indeed does defrag fast when using the Express mode but that isn't what impressed me as that portion seems more like any other run-of-the-mill defrag app. I did a comprehensive defrag by changing the manual defrag settings, and my system is humming along very smooth, although as the name implies it is comprehensive therefore it takes some time to complete - but in my opinion it's very well worth the wait.

This thing seems to do a very good job when using the comprehensive defrag! Since it can shutdown the computer after it completes I'll be using it instead of the Windows defrag, and it looks like I'll be removing ScanDefrag!

Thanks for the suggestion of this acooldozen, it's a keeper!

Doesn't iobot defrag run in the back ground defragging all the time or when your system is idle? I installed Tweak UI so I could disable Windows Defrag from running automatically when my system is idle. I will defrag when I want to I don't want some program running in the back ground defragging the HD all the time. I'm totally happy with JK Defrag.

• Moderators
Andavari, don't you like JKDefrag?

I used it for a short while maybe a week or two and just had gotten tired of it being about the only reason, other than that it was the display being some green blob that screwed with my eyes.

• Moderators

I changed my mind and won't be using this defragger because it constantly is using 16MB memory while being in the systray, but more because it locked up my whole system. Back to ScanDefrag for now.

Te Windows Default defragger is slow and takes many resources while defragging. A defraggen from another company may have other techniques to do it a lot faster like the one that is mentioned in the first post of this thread. I'm using that myself and it works like a charm.

So what is everyone's opinion for a defragger outside of the default Windows one??

AJ

I use Diskkeeper. It runs in the background with no discernable side-effects.

As I have said in previous threads, its what works best for you. I disagree with JDPower statement, but its a fair bet I haven't installed his programs, or prehaps even his operating system...

Try it. If you like it, use it, otherwise ditch it.

I am happy with Diskkeeper.

• Moderators
So what is everyone's opinion for a defragger outside of the default Windows one??

AJ

My take is why bother with them especially if using WinXP, I myself always end up going right back to the default Microsoft/Executive Software supplied defrag.

Now on Win9x/Me that's a different story, a third-party defrag tool on those oses can make a huge speed difference but most of the changes come down to not re-arranging program files which has to be the most time consuming, but there's a way to disable that "feature" in Win9x/Me systems without using any third-party defrag program.

So what is everyone's opinion for a defragger outside of the default Windows one?

Use JKDefrag here (with JKDefrag Starter GUI). Its defragging capability is probably no better than Windows defragger but if just defragging it is a bit faster but i also like the optimisation abilities it has too (like moving large files to end of disk data). I think any performance difference is probably marginal at most but worthwhile IMHO

My take is why bother with them especially if using WinXP, I myself always end up going right back to the default Microsoft/Executive Software supplied defrag.

Now on Win9x/Me that's a different story, a third-party defrag tool on those oses can make a huge speed difference but most of the changes come down to not re-arranging program files which has to be the most time consuming, but there's a way to disable that "feature" in Win9x/Me systems without using any third-party defrag program.

I'm with Andavari B)

Windows XP's Defrag dose the job for me, I run it once a week and it takes no more than 10 minutes max.

JK Defrag runs much faster than the Built in XP defrag. The before and after analysis done with the Windows Defrag analyze option is drastically different when I use JK Defrag.

As for taking up space, JK Defrag is using 528 KB of disk space on my machine and requires no install. If thats a problem for somebody you must be using a 2GB hard drive :lol: