Woodworking?

JAGO

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you hardware oriented geeks (like myself :P) knew anything about working with electricity and wood. I have this (relatively) old Dell computer sitting in my basement, and I was going to tear it out of its shell, and replace it with, well, lumber. I guess I'm concerned about two things - fire and heat dissipation.

Obviously heat dissipation is going to require some decent airflow, but I think I know how to handle that. The only concern I have is some sort of fire starting. What timber will have the highest burn point? If I have my motherboard on spacers between the actual timber, and proper airflow, is fire even a concern?

I'm doing a lot of my own research but any comments/suggestions are welcome. Also, if this moves forward, there will be lots of pictures.

IPB Image

• Moderators

Well I don't think I've ever heard of someone using wood for a computer case, good luck and have a fire extinguisher handy.

Although if you get a weak enough power supply and add in some mesquite firewood chips you could make a tasty steak or hamburger inside the computer case.

Sounds like a cool idea. :)

First things came to my mind were:

1. Woods warp, expand, contract. Even when cured, they still move around.

2. Some woods, cedar, for example, contain oils that will adversly affect metals.

3. Vibrations from the fan, DVD drive, etc. might affect the grip of the screws. Not a factor with a metal case, they use lock washers.

I hope you can make it work. . .post a picture. . . :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Surely I'm not the only one here who is old enough to remember when TVs and stereos and other electronic components came in a wooden cabinet or case? You just need lots of holes and/or slots for ventilation and the case needs to be large to give lots of airspace inside.