Foxit Reader vs. Adobe Reader

Tom AZ

I have been using Foxit Reader almost exclusively, but I still have Adobe Reader installed. Are there any good reasons NOT to uninstall the Adobe Reader? I don't want to get impulsive with an uninstall only to wish later that I hadn't done that.

• Moderators
I have been using Foxit Reader almost exclusively, but I still have Adobe Reader installed. Are there any good reasons NOT to uninstall the Adobe Reader? I don't want to get impulsive with an uninstall only to wish later that I hadn't done that.

I'm not 100% sold on Foxit Reader anymore free and lightweight or not, and may very well switch back to the bloated free Adobe Reader. The reason for this lossage of confidence in Foxit Reader is that I've run into a handful of PDF documents that it either couldn't even open, or couldn't display properly something which 'ole bloated Adobe Reader never had a problem with. I recently received a 101 page PDF manual that was nothing but scrunched together text as displayed in Foxit Reader with zero separation of sentences and paragraphs, etc., which really had me wondering how it could be off that far, however at least doing a PDF to PDF conversion with the Media Convert website allowed it to display properly in Foxit Reader.

Although I do understand and realize that other freeware/open source products can also make PDF documents - "perhaps non-complaint PDF documents" that totally goof up the display in some other PDF readers.

• 3 weeks later...
The reason for this lossage of confidence in Foxit Reader is that I've run into a handful of PDF documents that it either couldn't even open, or couldn't display properly something which 'ole bloated Adobe Reader never had a problem with. I recently received a 101 page PDF manual that was nothing but scrunched together text as displayed in Foxit Reader with zero separation of sentences and paragraphs, etc., which really had me wondering how it could be off that far, however at least doing a PDF to PDF conversion with the Media Convert website allowed it to display properly in Foxit Reader.

You should get the GDI+Module add-on for foxit reader which will probably fix this problem.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/...ns.htm#critical

• Moderators
You should get the GDI+Module add-on for foxit reader which will probably fix this problem.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/...ns.htm#critical

I already had gdiplus.dll installed with it, and that "add-on" is really only for Win9x systems., but in actuality it made the PDF documents look even worse.

Anyone had any experience with Adobe Reader 8.1 Lite?