Disappearing hard drive space.

Anthony A

Hi all :rolleyes:

Been reading with great interest about hard drives free space shrinking, and used space mysteriously growing.

I decided to clean up the (System Restore Check Points) and recovered over 9GB of space back :rolleyes:

That happens on my system after windows has run the ProcessIdleTasks command (LINK), which it does every 3 days or so, always a small group of files moved out to the right of the disk display. To see if thats what is causing it you could defrag, check the disk analysis, then run the ProcessIdleTasks (Run>Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks) command manually, then check the disk analysis again and see if you see the result you mentioned with files moved to right of disk (open task manager and make sure the defrag processes are finished to know if the command has finished, takes about 5 mins).

I found this a nuisance though as it undoes JKDefrags good work and am pleased to say I discovered Microsoft's TweakUI has an option to disable this - in the General section untick 'Optimise hard disk when idle'. Or you can edit the registry directly to disable it - LINK

That is interesting. The "optimize hard disk when idle" actually un optimizes ( is there such a word :lol: ) the disk. I guess Tweak UI is going in.

Hi all :rolleyes:

Been reading with great interest about hard drives free space shrinking, and used space mysteriously growing.

I decided to clean up the (System Restore Check Points) and recovered over 9GB of space back :rolleyes:

Wow. What did you have System Restore set at for disk space to use?

Wow. What did you have System Restore set at for disk space to use?

Hi Anthony A :D

I just had a look, and it was set at 12% (22893 MB) so I reduced it back to 1% (2469 MB)

Initially Windows probably set it according to the size of my hard drive (200 GB) B)

That is interesting. The "optimize hard disk when idle" actually un optimizes ( is there such a word :lol: ) the disk.

Indeed. I went an awful long time not knowing why I kept getting that group of files being moved to a big area of free space. Admittedly the ProcessIdleTasks command can speed up Windows startup if run occasionly but I'd rather choose when that is (I have the command in a batch file and run it once every couple of months now), not have Windows do it twice a week and shaking up my JKD optimised disk :D