Unwanted and Intermittent Google Chrome parasite in CCleaner

Alan_B

I downloaded ccsetup321.exe from FileHippo.

I cautiously delayed every click by several seconds to see if there was going to be any unwanted passengers, and saw no indications.

I was horrified to find a strange icon on the TaskBar and when I looked on the Desktop I saw a short-cut to Google Chrome.

Do I need to wait several minutes between clicks so a very slow warning will appear.

My first action was to use CCleaner to uninstall Google Chrome,

and was horrified to see that the uninstall pop-up included an option to make PaleMoon my default browser.

I delayed further action on that.

I clicked on a link to a favorite site and NOTHING happened.

I had not yet uninstalled Chrome and it was NOT acting as a default browser,

and furthermore it had destroyed the Default Browser capability of Palemoon.

Google Chrome is malware - it is a browser hijacker and destroyer.

I then checked the pop-up option to make PaleMoon my default browser (like it has been for months),

and completed the Chrome removal.

I clicked on a link to a favorite site and normality had been restored.

Actually it was semi-normality.

PaleMoon had been running all the time,

but after closing Palemoon and then opening again it wanted to know if I wanted to make it my default browser,

and that is a question it has not asked for months,

so Google Chrome left permanent damage that required further action by me.

That is the Unwanted stuff.

Intermittent stuff :-

It only happened once.

I tried this twice more and It is good that Google Chrome never happened again - and I could not even find any option to have it included.

I assume this MAY be because there is either a Google Chrome or a CCleaner registry key that is corrupting my system with the information that I do not want Google Chrome.

I have just run CCleaner Registry Scan and seen 4 separate ActiveX/Com issues with Google Chrome.

There are reasons why I prefer my software to be Portable and under my control.

I only ventured into this because I am intending to restore my system from a Partition Image backup.

• Moderators

It's been reported before multiple times about Google getting onto the system without any "option" to opt-out, and about that supposed "option" to untick it being delayed. Intential or not I don't know but with people complaining about it before and the delayed release of the Slim build I switched to using the Portable build instead.

Since you're an established and trusted member I'd personally say the bad behaviour of the installer is finally confirmed.

Alan, I just did the same as you and a bit more. Running wxp 32 bit, ie8 not well patched.

1. Uninstalled my old version of Ccleaner

2. Removed all the registry entries for CCleaner.

3. Went to the registry key mentioned in Nergal's post 10 and removed the whole key for google. http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=31156

4. Downloaded and installed the latest CCleaner from Filehippo .

5. There WAS a tiny tiny delay before the "install google" window showed up, fraction of a second longer than the other windows opening, but it doesn't matter, you can't do anything else until you make the choice anyway. Unless I am missing something. Hard to imagine, that is. :P

6. I selected not to install it, and here we are, no chrome, no google toolbar.

7. Went back into regedit, found that the google key is back, says "No Chrome Offer Until..."etc

Its a puzzle for sure. Over years I have tried this installation every way I can think of and have never seen a chance for google to slip past. I don't doubt you one bit, anyway you know more about this sort of thing than I do, and lots of others have had the same situation, but I just can't make it happen here.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

There's possibly multiple factors as to why that opt-out window lags on some systems and not so much on others such as the Windows OS version, the installed antivirus, etc. Regardless of the reason it's caught more than enough people by surprise.

• 1 month later...

Oct. 12, 2012, I just installed latest version of CCleaner and was very angry to find that Chrome had been automatically installed without asking my permission. Pariform must be getting paid by Google to force Chrome on those that download CCleaner. This policy stinks and shows what a dishonest company they are especially in view of the fact that it is almost impossible to get rid of Chrome and get your default browser back. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This policy stinks and shows what a dishonest company they are especially in view of the fact that it is almost impossible to get rid of Chrome and get your default browser back. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you for your difficulty in getting rid of Chrome and restoring your default browser.

It took me perhaps 1 minute to restore my system as it had been.

It took me much longer to fully document a non-repeatable incident of what has previously been little more than hearsay.

This incident was unrepeatable for me.

Many others have never experienced this problem.

Shame on you for questioning the honesty of Piriform.

Just how much money do you think Google would pay Piriform for ONE unwanted install every SEVEN WEEKS ?

I agree with Andavari.

Only a very small percentage of people see this problem,

and it is due to some peculiarity of the computer system.

I have had this happen once or twice.

Perhaps it is an anomaly to specific versions of the installer, or even other minutia that could be caused by inconceivably diverse machine configs.

I have had no problem removing Chrome, as it has under Firefox/Options/Advanced/General/Always check to see if FF is default on startup checkmarked.

The Chrome offer needs to be revised, but I daresay this is the detritus that Chrome installs, & not the wanton fault of Piriform developers.

• Moderators

This thread reserrected by terrystuff4 is now closed as this subject has been talked to death about.

His thread in Software has now also been closed

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=36939

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com