Desktop icon is corrupted .391....?

I temporiarly upgraded to .413, and had had issues with boot defrag every-time not working (I like this feature!)-

So I fresh rebooted & reinstalled .391 (upgrade) with the same install settings-

Desktop Icon, and replace WDD with Defraggler (DF Icon was normal, as before), But!-

After a cold startup,

another no-activity reboot, I did a full defrag.

After the first reboot the DF icon became corrupted (see .jpg screenshot)?

post-1962-0-08867700-1338841268_thumb.jpg

I tried a DF uninstall/CCleaner (reg too)/chkdsk/DF reinstall (AV temp disabled, and All DF Processes/install file pre-whitelisted...). I also pre-ran a heavy-duty trusted reg cleaner, but no DF items were listed in either.

Now as soon as I reinstall .391, the desktop icon is immediately corrupted! :wacko:

DF is working OK, but the corrupted desktop icon Bugs me!? :angry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It appears that the DF registry somehow got corrupted, and the only other thing I can think of to try is deep uninstalling with Revo uninstaller?

I am not sure about trying this as Revo sometimes messes with uninstall.isu that is supposed to restore settings... on first reboot!?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!? :huh:

Win 7 (x86), ESET Smart Security v8, Zemana Anti-Logger free and no other active anti-malware.
Free on-demand- Old/fast MBAM v1.75 (No Pro/Context!), MBAM Anti-Rootkit BETA, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, herdProtect.
i5-2500 CPU @ 3.67GHz, WD VelociRaptor sata6 10k rpm/64mb Cache HD (WOW!).

• Moderators

You can create a new working shortcut:

1. Delete the corrupt shortcut.

2. Right-click and select: New -> Shortcut

3. Click browse to find the Defraggler program folder and select the main Defraggler .EXE file (it will be the one that displays as an icon), and you'll have a working shortcut again.

You can create a new working shortcut:

1. Delete the corrupt shortcut.

2. Right-click and select: New -> Shortcut

3. Click browse to find the Defraggler program folder and select the main Defraggler .EXE file (it will be the one that displays as an icon), and you'll have a working shortcut again.

The .exe was corrupt, and so was the Start "All Programs" menu?

post-1962-0-97046900-1339038407_thumb.jpg

How about a Revo deep scan uninstall? Would this possibly corrupt my computer? :unsure:

Win 7 (x86), ESET Smart Security v8, Zemana Anti-Logger free and no other active anti-malware.
Free on-demand- Old/fast MBAM v1.75 (No Pro/Context!), MBAM Anti-Rootkit BETA, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, herdProtect.

Does Defraggler start when you click on the corrupt defraggler icon? If so you can probably fix the corrupt one.

From my first Post-

"DF is working OK, but the corrupted desktop icon Bugs me!? :angry:"

I once deleted the icon cache, but XP was unable to rebuild it.

This problem may be rare, but it is common enough that Google gives me "About 93,800 results (0.16 seconds)" when I search for

rebuild "icon cache"

First I suggest using the Portable version of Defraggler as a zero harm test.

This should be totally unaffected by any SNAFU in the registry.

If this also has a corrupt icon then hazelnut's suggestion is the way to go to whatever fate has in store for you :rolleyes:

The normal idea is to delete the file

%LocalAppData%\IconCache.db

My recommendation is to rename it to something like

#IconCache.db

With luck after a reboot windows should rebuild without corruption

IconCache.db

If that works then delete #IconCache.db

If it fails you can choose between renaming #IconCache.db and or trying "About 93,800 results"

• Moderators

The .exe was corrupt, and so was the Start "All Programs" menu?

How about a Revo deep scan uninstall? Would this possibly corrupt my computer? :unsure:

If it's the iconcache thing the suggestions the others have given may be the route to go.

If it's Defraggler itself that's corrupt I'd suggest re-downloading the setup file only from Piriform.com, or FileHippo.com and try to install over the already installed version, and then reboot your computer. If that doesn't work you could uninstall Defraggler, reboot, and then install it again.

If it's the iconcache thing the suggestions the others have given may be the route to go.

If it's Defraggler itself that's corrupt I'd suggest re-downloading the setup file only from Piriform.com, or FileHippo.com and try to install over the already installed version, and then reboot your computer. If that doesn't work you could uninstall Defraggler, reboot, and then install it again.-

I'd already tried Both of these options?

I Finally figured out how to fix it, after several more tries...! :D

Thanks to All, for pointing me in the right direction!-

~~~~~~~~

I didn't realize iconcache.db was a Hidden File, until I found it with nifty fast/free Search Everything (shows All/hidden files without Explorer tweak... Run as admin with full Explorer... rights, and everything.exe process whitelisted in my AV).

You can use wild cards..., is much like the good old XP search options, but Better!

http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;1 (free download here)

post-1962-0-31231400-1339180947_thumb.jpg

You do need to tweak Options..., to keep it from auto-starting/... after reboot (only takes 6sec to load & show All files on your computer).

post-1962-0-23525800-1339179271_thumb.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. I tried renaming #iconcache.db, but was still corrupted after reboot! :wacko:

post-1962-0-52092000-1339179614_thumb.jpg (Search Everything Results...)

2. I figured Win was still finding the corrupt icon from somewhere(?), so I Permanently Deleted-

DF.413.exe, and All iconcache.db's.

3. Reboot, iconcache rebuilt correctly, and Phew!- DF icon is Fixed! :rolleyes:

post-1962-0-93051800-1339178343_thumb.jpg

G'day

Scott

@Scottls -> I routinely experience wrong icons & icon corruption. My external drive has hundreds of thousands of files. Windows cache wasn't built to hold so many items, & it gets confused by so many items having the same name. If you want to see an easy example of Windows displaying the wrong icon, try the following:

_____

Download Batch Icon Extractor.

Drag CCleaner.exe onto Batch Icon Extractor.

Drag Firefox.exe onto Batch Icon Extractor.

_____

Name the best looking CCleaner icon to Icon. Works great, right?

Now, delete all the icons EXCEPT the firefox icon. Rename the Firefox icon to Icon.

The Firefox icon will take on the appearance of the old CCleaner icon.

_____

Although there may be occasions this does not work, it works most of the time that I try this. Windows will cache the 1st icon, then because you had Icon.ico in cache, when you create another icon from another program & also call it Icon.ico, Windows will fail to update the cache.

Windows (incorrectly) still believes that the older Icon.ico from CCleaner is the correct one to load for Firefox Icon.ico because the name is the same, even though the content is different.

_____

This is why I am not a big fan of icon caching. Too many problems.

• Moderators

This is why I am not a big fan of icon caching. Too many problems.

The icon cache size can be increased, but that's only a temporary solution because once it fills up it will start displaying the wrong icons. Another problem it has is if self-extracting .EXE files are rather big in file size then it won't display an icon and instead shows a generic icon.

I rebuild the icon cache about once per week using Tweak UI to avoid any problems.