Winamp getting better?

rridgely

• Moderators

I just installed winamp 5.33 and I'm a little surprised.

The reason I got it was to have it auto download some podcasts on my desktop.(I hate itunes)

Anyway I got the full version with library support and skins and right now its playing a song minimized to the taskbar(I hate the agent thing so its disabled) and its only using like 8mb of ram. If I maximize it up it goes up to about 12mb but goes down again when minimized.

Last time I tried winamp it was using like 50-60mb so I'm pretty impressed. I had to go back to WMP10 because 11 was starting to use like 100mb sometimes. My computers are more than capable of handling it but I don't like bloated software. :P

• Moderators

Winamp seems to have one security exploit after another, however at least AOL patches it really fast with a new release. Although I'm a Foobar2000 user, the only other audio playing software I'd even consider is good ole' Winamp.

• Moderators

I've been using this version since it came out early February.

When I'm not listening to Roger Waters, Pink Floyd or Beethoven, I've got a good pair of headphones wrapped over my ears listening to Shoutcast Radio.

181 fm, Kickin' Country to be exact. Brilliant. With decent headphones, the sound quality is good, and so far I've experienced no hissing, crackling or signal dropout.

I'm showing 8mb as well, with just the main window "always on top" as a narrow bar lying across the top of the screen. Nice and handy to pause, or see who or what's playing in the info window.

I've liked this a lot since I first installed it.

Edit: Since my earlier post re Skype, although this may be unnecessary, I've been back to HackerWatch with WinAmp active, and I'm still apparently invisible. Not sure if a prog like Winamp is a security risk in the same way as Skype, but better safe than sorry.

I did use Winamp till I heard about MediaMonkey 2 years ago or so.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
Foobar has *more* features :).

I liked foobar but I had one major issue with it. I would spend hours setting it up and then magically every couple of weeks all of my changes would be gone and it would load up like default. I'm not sure what happened but it got old fast.

I was using Mediamonkey then WMP11(which I still like but it started getting bloated) and now I've been using winamp since posting this. Its been ok for now.

I have the installer for the new version but I haven't installed it yet.

Never had that issue, but one thing you can do is save your configuration, heh, and just reload it if you have any issues. Dunno, I keep my foobar pretty simple to begin with:

untitleduc0.th.jpg

IPB Image

• Moderators
Foobar was confusing and didnt have as many features so i switched back quickly!

Foobar2000 can be daunting to configure and I truly wish there was some sort of add-on or plug-in for it that would add a GUI configurer that would properly deal with all those confusing format strings (probably wishful thinking). However since it has those format strings it has more features than Winamp, and will play more formats from the get go without looking for some input plug-in downloads.

Foobar2000's daunting configuration is one reason you should make a backup copy of its configuration should the need arise and the configuration must be restored, backup this file to stave off any grief:

C:\Program Files\Foobar2000\foobar2000.cfg

• Moderators

I was actually impressed at the number of plug-ins WinAmp has by default, although I'll probably never use most of them.

Listening at the moment (running at only 7.5mb), and some of the Shoutcast radio stations are really good quality.

Have downloaded quite a bit of radio with StreamRipper plug-in, and the playback is just as good.

i have that album :P

as for winamp, i think that it's getting a little better. it now has a plugin that has FLAC support(had it for a while actually) and Nullsoft will add a Musepack plugin which will also be installed by default.

Just bought it - and 300$ worth of other CDs - I now have a 100% legit collection!

IPB Image

Haven't tried Foobar but have been using Winamp for some time. I haven't heard anything better when used with the Enhancer 0.17 plug-in.

Winamp is so customizable that I think there's a plug-in for anything. I've also loaded that Enhancer plug-in with Screamer Radio and it sounds amazing.

One of my favorite site perusals over the years has been the Winamp plug-in site. Most of the better ones have been released several years ago and aren't up there anymore. Supposedly, you can't even discuss Streamripper anymore on their message boards.

As for exploits, I've read about them, but I don't know if I've ever heard about anyone who had an actual experience. Perhaps someone can post a link with more info.