EICAR test virus not detected when downloaded from Firefox?

JDPower

This is something I've only just noticed (after reading something in another thread). If I attempt to download the EICAR test virus (http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com) with IE my AVG anti-virus warns me its dangerous as soon as I click the link. But if I click the link in Firefox I get no warning and can download it (I only get warned then if I try to do something with it after its downloaded).

Is this normal behaviour for AVG/FF or have I got something set up wrong in one or the other?

Thanks for the link Hazel but as is always the way, I found the answer after posting. There is an option in AVG that corrects this, though its not enabled by default as it can be a little resource hungry and interrupt things like screensavers, defrag etc.

For future reference its in AVG control centre - right click the resident shield, click properties and tick the 'On close scanning' box

Now when I click the EICAR download link in Firefox I get an AVG warning before I even get a chance to download it :)

(I'll post back if I notice any resource or other problems)

• Moderators
For future reference its in AVG control centre - right click the resident shield, click properties and tick the 'On close scanning' box

I have always enabled that with no ill effects, however it may very well depend upon your PC's specs.

I have always enabled that with no ill effects, however it may very well depend upon your PC's specs.

Well no ill effects so far. Just glad I spotted this with the test virus rather than potentially missing a real one.

• Moderators
Well no ill effects so far. Just glad I spotted this with the test virus rather than potentially missing a real one.

Indeed. There's no sense it waiting for it to be detected later on during a full system scan when it can be detected and dealt with the instant it tries to get into the system.